I was given a stack of 1980s-2000s audio and video equipment by a local audiophile who tends to acquire things from folks who are trying to clean out their homes.
One of the items is a Sony CD-C315. It's a carousel CD changer, which is the type of changer I prefer over cartridge style, but it was not a high-end system in 1991 so I'm not thinking of doing anything heroic to give it new life.
So far, it powers up. I hit the Open/Close button and the tray slid out, slowly in my opinion. The Disc Skip button didn't do anything at first, I put my sacrificial CD into position 3 and pressed Open/Close again, but nothing happened. I punched it again and used my hand to gently encourage it and it closed with assistance. Then I pressed the Disc 3 button and it didn't begin playing. I hit Open/Close again and it ejected, plus the carousel turned. I pressed Disc Skip and it moved for me. Open/Close was working consistently, but still slowly. I never got any indication that it was trying to play the disc either.
Bing AI told me to try a reset sequence using the Power and Clear/All Clear buttons, but the Clear button doesn't exist.
My goal is to build three starter systems for my now-adult kids to start out on their journey, so I'm willing to do some basic troubleshooting. If any of you have a ten-minute drill that I can run through to see what I can accomplish, I'll dig in and see what happens. If this unit isn't worth the effort, give me the word and I'll put it on the scrap heap.
One of the items is a Sony CD-C315. It's a carousel CD changer, which is the type of changer I prefer over cartridge style, but it was not a high-end system in 1991 so I'm not thinking of doing anything heroic to give it new life.
So far, it powers up. I hit the Open/Close button and the tray slid out, slowly in my opinion. The Disc Skip button didn't do anything at first, I put my sacrificial CD into position 3 and pressed Open/Close again, but nothing happened. I punched it again and used my hand to gently encourage it and it closed with assistance. Then I pressed the Disc 3 button and it didn't begin playing. I hit Open/Close again and it ejected, plus the carousel turned. I pressed Disc Skip and it moved for me. Open/Close was working consistently, but still slowly. I never got any indication that it was trying to play the disc either.
Bing AI told me to try a reset sequence using the Power and Clear/All Clear buttons, but the Clear button doesn't exist.
My goal is to build three starter systems for my now-adult kids to start out on their journey, so I'm willing to do some basic troubleshooting. If any of you have a ten-minute drill that I can run through to see what I can accomplish, I'll dig in and see what happens. If this unit isn't worth the effort, give me the word and I'll put it on the scrap heap.
