• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Sony CDP-C801ES Carousel belt

Bigears

Manager of my own day
Picked up an inop Sony CDP-C801ES 5 disc player. Nice condition, copper chassis, dual power supplies and die cast aluminum carousel. Therein lies the problem. Sony, in an effort to keep the noise down, uses a toothed belt around the perimeter of the carousel which engages with a belt driven gear to rotate the carousel. The toothed belt on my C801ES has broken.

Does anyone know where to source this part? I'm coming up blank and really don't want to part this very nice CDP.

In the pic you can see part of the broken belt and the groove in the carousel where its is supposed to be. FYI, the motor shown in the shot drives the carousel via an easily sourced square belt and gearwheel (not shown).

P1130734Large.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
I came up empty with all my usual suppliers. Even Partstore says they don't have it, and they usually claim to have everything, then later tell you they don't. This place is your last hope:
http://www.beltsforanything.com/site1.php
You'll probably have to call them with some measurements. The other thing you can try is just replace it with a flat belt, the heck with the teeth.
 
Thanks for the input Warren, I was hoping you would check into this thread. I will make some measurements and see what www.beltsforanything.com has to offer. Otherwise I'll try a standard belt as you suggest.

I was pleased to see this nicely made aluminum disc carousel, but that same part may end up being the downfall of this CDP.

I will update the thread once I resolve this.
 
Have you tried to contact a repair depot that gets parts from Sony? I used to work for Sony years ago and could get parts from two different Sony parts warehouses, Toronto and Vancouver. This was back in the mid 90's and in Canada, but you never know. Then again, knowing Sony the part might cost an arm and a leg if they have it.
 
Believe it or not, but vacuum cleaner repair houses are great sources for large cogged belts. I've bought a couple for non-vacuum applications over the years.
 
Thanks for the input Warren, I was hoping you would check into this thread. I will make some measurements and see what www.beltsforanything.com has to offer. Otherwise I'll try a standard belt as you suggest.

I was pleased to see this nicely made aluminum disc carousel, but that same part may end up being the downfall of this CDP.

I will update the thread once I resolve this.

Any luck finding a belt?---I also have this deck--it's a beauty---and may need a belt soon.
 
Anyone ever try using a turntable belt or anything to repair one of these? I found one at a thrift store in great shape and cheap, but got it home and found out the carousel/tray belt is broken. This place has belts http://marrscommunications.com/sony-cd-player-and-recorder-belts but not the toothed timing belt. I saw another thread here that mentioned it was actually bonded to the turntable so never sold as a separate part.
 
I don't have one of those CD players with the belt bonded to the carousel, but I'm working on getting a similar (but much smaller) cogged timing belt for a different model. It turns out that such timing belts are commonly used in office machines (printers, copiers, fax machines, etc.) as well as R/C cars and now the 3D printing industry and hobby. Since hobbyists often want to make their own or "hardware hack" existing 3D printers, there is a wide variety of sizes and styles available. If you can give the belt width, length, and cog pitch you should be able to get the right belt.

Be careful. For example, the belt I'm after is metric, with a pitch of 2.00 mm between cogs. There are also inch-measured belts with a pitch of 0.080", which happens to be 2.03 mm! For my application, the pitch difference would make the belt slightly too long - the same problem I already have with my stretched-out original belt.

For anyone interested, my player is a CDP-C505 and the belt is Sony # 4-924-478-01, no longer available from Sony or any current audio parts dealers. The belt I've ordered is GT2 profile (smooth contoured cogs ideal for zero backlash, matching the original belt), 2 mm pitch, 76 cogs (152 mm long - circumference) and 3 mm wide. The original belt measures 2 mm wide but the pulleys should be wide enough for a 3 mm belt. If it turns out that the pulleys aren't wide enough, most sellers of these belts will make them to custom widths on request.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom