• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Sony Discman spins disc very slowly and displays "NO DISC" message (Model D-152CK)

Inflataballz

New Member
Hello Everyone,

I recently found a Sony car Discman (D-152CK) in an old drawer, I plugged it in with it's power suppluin and it turned on, however, when I try to make it read CDs the disc spins and it appears "00" and then "no disc" in the LCD screen, after that message is displayed the disc stops playing inside .I tried plugging it in with speakers and headphones but i heard nothing but the beeping sound effect that plays when I press the "play" button. Sometimes when I try putting in CD it starts spinning normally but it does nothing and when I try to skip from track 0 to 1 it starts spinning very slowly and no sound comes out. I strongly believe the issue with this particular device is the laser, which is probably dead after more than a decade but I might as well be wrong in assuming this. I also tried moving the laser mechanism back then put in a CD turned it on and I noticed that when I turned it off and opened the tray, the laser mechanism had moved back to it's original position which is closer to the center. My experience with fixing optical disc players is very small, so if anyone could clear things up or recognize a known problem i would be very thankful.
 
Register to hide this ad
The laser is probably not dead, but it may be tired (weak) or have a dirty lens (dust, or greasy film). Lens cleaning is problematic in that you can easily make things worse rather than better, but sometimes it works.
 
Are these CDs that you burned yourself? Some of the old Sony's only like to play the store bought CD's. Sometimes they may also play the re-writeable type (CD-RW) disks. But they are picky.
 
Last edited:
I could have been a bit more helpful. The D-152CK user manual says that "no diSC" is the usual error message when there is trouble loading the disk. The user manual does mention dirty lens as a possible problem. I don't know your unit but I recall that the portables did have exposed lenses that could be easily cleaned. The "00" you mention is a specific error code that would be worth decoding, find a service manual if you can. Possibly the codes are the same for similar units so a related model service manual might suffice. It would also be worth checking that good power is being supplied---maybe try fresh batteries rather than your adaptor. There's a sticky post in this forum called "Laserology" that gives gory details into some more serious yet still repairable CD player problems.
 
Back
Top Bottom