• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Sony ES CD players

ryanward84

Well-Known Member
I own a Sony CDP 207esd player and it sounds pretty good and seems well built. Within the ES line of CD players what players are "better" or "more sought after" than others?

I would guess that more expensive, heavier, better or more DACs would play a role in desirability and SQ.

I have the chance to pick up a few different models locally and I'm curious if any would be a significant upgrade.

CDP 507esd
CDP 508esd
X33ES
 
Register to hide this ad
Don't ignore the ES line of standard DVD players: They're great for CD use. I have a 3100 ES and a DVP- S7700 that are both used exclusively for audio and I'm very pleased with them.
 
Of the players you listed, I would try the CDP-507ESD. The real cream of the crop players to look for would be the CDP-707ESD, CDP-X7ESD, CDP-X77ES, CDP-X777ES, CDP-X779ES and the CDP-X707ES. They were the TOTL ES units from 1988-1993. Be prepared to spend some money on the 7 series. If you find one cheap, snap it up!
 
If you come across a Sony XA-20 ES, grab it.

I found one on the sidewalk one morning about a year ago. Had the puck, remote and even a set of RCA cables. It's worked great ever since. I previously played CDs [infrequently] on a $90 DVD player. This XA-20ES has changed my whole attitude towards Compact Discs. I have one disc that never played the last few tracks. The SONY plays them perfectly. Very nice sounding deck!
 
I found one on the sidewalk one morning about a year ago. Had the puck, remote and even a set of RCA cables. It's worked great ever since. I previously played CDs [infrequently] on a $90 DVD player. This XA-20ES has changed my whole attitude towards Compact Discs. I have one disc that never played the last few tracks. The SONY plays them perfectly. Very nice sounding deck!

Nice find, Mr.White!
 
Back
Top Bottom