• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony ESD cd players vs modern units

dsd-7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi, I usually listen to vinyl, but it is about time to update my Adcom cd player. I have heard a lot of good things about the vintage Sony ESD players, but have concerns about their outdated DAC's and electronics. I am trying to decide between buying a really nice vintage unit vs a newer model unit...The two units I specifically have in mind are the Sony 608 ESD and the Cambridge Audio Azur 340C. Does anyone have any input that could help me with deciding? Thanks in advance.
 
Register to hide this ad
A CD player is one of those things I'd rather buy new, or at the very least, used, but fairly new.

I don't hear big differences between CD players, so take my opinion for what it is. Some may say they hear MASSIVE differences and might recommend one over the other.
 
One thing to consider is not all Sony ES players are truly of elevated standards quality. I have a few older players and have had several others from the ES line. I would research the 608 online first. I still have a 707ESD and have had a X-111ES which sounded decent and a 201ES that was anything but ES.
 
I have had good luck with my Sony ES cd players. They sound great and usually are able to be had pretty cheap on the local c/l. Denon makes a nice sounding cdp also, but the oldest and best sounding cd player i have owned was a Luxman single cd player.
 
I have had good luck with my Sony ES cd players. They sound great and usually are able to be had pretty cheap on the local c/l. Denon makes a nice sounding cdp also, but the oldest and best sounding cd player i have owned was a Luxman single cd player.

I have heard that CD player. Didn't look like much, but sounded gorgeous. Unfortunately, like most old CD players, it had all kinds of mechanical problems.


I would only buy a recent or new model CD player. Even the best older model CD players fail eventually. Replacing the transport is generally expensive if not impossible.
 
if you're looking for cheap bang-4-buck players, i would instead point you the Sony DVP-S7000 or S7700. they're from around 1999, and i've had several without issues. if the units you're asking about are local, that saves you trouble, but i think the Sony DVD player would beat either of them.
 
Thanks for all the input so far guys. I am continuing to ponder this issue. I have never actually heard any of Sony's ESD cd players, but I am going on the good reports I've read in the past. I just went up to my local hi-fi store to audition some of their cdp's. They did not have the any Cambridge Azur models in stock, so I auditioned their Rega Apollo instead. Wow, it really sounded great to my ears. It is above my price range at the moment, so I am now contemplating saving a bit more $$$ and buying it later. The Rega really surprised me. Due to some of the comments, I am beginning to wonder if buying used is a bad idea with cdp's.
 
Last edited:
Sony CDP 507ESD

A great older Sony player, the CDP 507ESD, which can be found (if patient) for not a lot of money compared to some of the TOL Sony ESD models, has something of a following because it is equipped with dual Phillips TDA 1541A 16 bit DAC's which are held in high regard. The same caveat goes along with any 25 year old CD player regarding the unavailability of replacement lasers, but if you can find one that's been sitting around in storage or wasn't heavily used, it might be a good bet if you want an older Sony.

I've added a pic of the Phllips DAC's in one of two 507ESD's that I have. One is a daily user and one a spare. The 508ESD also uses the 1541A but I believe only has one.
 

Attachments

  • TDA1541A_sm.jpg
    TDA1541A_sm.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
My X77ES makes my Denon 3910 sound like a toy piano.
I am not using an outboard DAC.:no:
I am however using Balanced out to my Adcom GFP 750!:yes:
 
Most of the ES models are very well build(the 5 and 7 series).Not that the 1,2,3 series are bad,just a little more economical(no copper plated,twin transformers,"dual mono" design).I have a CDP-XA3ES.Good player.Pretty solid build.
Not most,but ALL of the laser pick-ups that were used in these ES players are no longer available.So if you buy one you must know that when the laser fails it's over.Maybe,just maybe if you're LUCKY you'll find a spare laser,but at a very high price for sure.
Saying all this,I wouldn't know what to do.If you could find an ES 5 or 7 series at a lower price get it.Try it.Other wise I guess I'd take a new CDP.Though no more than 300$/€.
 
I am the original owner of a CDP-608ESD, bought around 1990 or so from Rogersound Labs in southern CA. It has worked flawlessly the entire time and has even been packed up for a few years at a time without any power and when I put in an old CD that I had entered the title for, the info still came up! Built like a tank and almost as heavy too. If you can find a working one, I say go for it.
 
Sorry to come again in with this comment: many of these players have unobtainable laser pickups, and so it is wise to first check on the availability and pricing of a replacement laser pickup (which sooner or later will fail) for a specific model before buying the unit (unless it is very cheap, of course).
 
Sorry to come again in with this comment: many of these players have unobtainable laser pickups, and so it is wise to first check on the availability and pricing of a replacement laser pickup (which sooner or later will fail) for a specific model before buying the unit (unless it is very cheap, of course).

I decided to check up on the pickup for my 608ESD's KSS-151A pick up assy. Got a few hits on eBay with a couple of used pickup assemblies going for around $190-255 and then just the laser diode by itselr for $16/ea or 5 for $100.

Is the diode usually the only component requiring replacement? I'm well versed in repairing SS electronics and their mechanical components but I've never messed with laser pick ups before so just wondering.
 
I ended up getting the 608ESD. It sounds really good! What an awesome player for $60.00!!
 

Attachments

  • IMG-20120325-00231.jpg
    IMG-20120325-00231.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 84
I bought a semi-legendary 620ES and was surprised at the not-a-lot-of-difference sound it produces apart from my Music Hall player. It's not worse either. I do enjoy it from an early CD era player ('85) perspective, but do not look forward to the day when a repair is necessary. I also REALLY like the front panel/button programming it offers!

image.php
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom