• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony monitor series headphones any good?

TheForgotten

New Member
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I love my MDR-V6 'phones.

They sound bright, switching from Grado SR-80s, and they WILL sound like crap if you're using a crap source.
 
So I guess, my question after hearing all this and reading through that thread discussing the V6s, are they, for the price, a good set of headphones for somebody that hasn't had a proper set of headphones and doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg, or are there better headphones out there for the price?
 
So I guess, my question after hearing all this and reading through that thread discussing the V6s, are they, for the price, a good set of headphones for somebody that hasn't had a proper set of headphones and doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg, or are there better headphones out there for the price?

Strongly research and consider the Grado SR60i headphones. You will not be sorry. Above all, listen to your choices before buying anything. Sound and comfort are all important.
 
It really is a toss up between my SR-80 headphones and my MDR-V6 set, I have to say... the SR-80s are very musical, but they're so 'transparent' (in that environmental noise is brutally evasive, and it leaks music; not ideal for a library) while the MDR-V6s faithfully reproduce the full spectrum (from the highest-highs, right down to an head-kicking 30Hz), my ears get hot and sweaty because they're a closed-type (but they're oh-so-fun to rock out with!).

I wish I could bring my STAX SR-84 setup with me everywhere, but for conveniences' sake the CX300 'buds win out.

Also somewhat in the price range are the Sennheiser HD590 headphones--which I love (!!) but they're even more 'transparent' than the Grados! Light as a feather and really, honestly will have you experiencing all your music all over again.


Those are all the headphones that I can speak about for now... they each have their place.


td;dr any headphones suggested here are probably fine, of the ones I own my Sony Monitors are my favourite to rock-out with!
 
Well, thanks for all of your opinions, now I'm gonna have to go see if I can find somewhere nearby that I can test them out, because I made the mistake with my previous headphones(Sony MDR-V150's) which I bought solely off of a friend's experience and the reviews on amazon, which was a big mistake, as they sound decent for my purposes, but nowhere near as comfortable as I expected. Probably most anything would be an upgrade for me, who is satisfied by my $16 Skullcandy earbuds, but yes. Also, I had noticed the Grado SR-60i and 80i, and I noticed that for the 80i, it said that to unlock their full potential, one would need a headphone amp, which I do not have, but yeah, maybe ListenUp Audio will have them.
 
Well, thanks for all of your opinions, now I'm gonna have to go see if I can find somewhere nearby that I can test them out, because I made the mistake with my previous headphones(Sony MDR-V150's) which I bought solely off of a friend's experience and the reviews on amazon, which was a big mistake, as they sound decent for my purposes, but nowhere near as comfortable as I expected. Probably most anything would be an upgrade for me, who is satisfied by my $16 Skullcandy earbuds, but yes. Also, I had noticed the Grado SR-60i and 80i, and I noticed that for the 80i, it said that to unlock their full potential, one would need a headphone amp, which I do not have, but yeah, maybe ListenUp Audio will have them.

If you liked the Sony's you had then if you want to play it safe you can stick with Sony since different models should have the same similar "house sound". So you'll just be getting a better version of that sound with higher up models.

Very few cans truly need amps, and certainly not Grados which are easy to power, so I wouldn't worry about that. Amps can improve sound, but usually only with hard to drive headphones. Other than that they just provide a slight difference, if any, as blind testing will attest.
 
Well, thanks for all of your opinions, now I'm gonna have to go see if I can find somewhere nearby that I can test them out, because I made the mistake with my previous headphones(Sony MDR-V150's) which I bought solely off of a friend's experience and the reviews on amazon, which was a big mistake, as they sound decent for my purposes, but nowhere near as comfortable as I expected. Probably most anything would be an upgrade for me, who is satisfied by my $16 Skullcandy earbuds, but yes. Also, I had noticed the Grado SR-60i and 80i, and I noticed that for the 80i, it said that to unlock their full potential, one would need a headphone amp, which I do not have, but yeah, maybe ListenUp Audio will have them.

I'm powering my Grados with the 2000x listed below and it sounds excellent, though it IS worth noting that the 2000x is really-good at driving headphones. Others might not be. The SR80's were a little hard to get used to at first. They needed a little stretching but not much, and it took a little getting used to the SR80i earpads (I don't think Grado has ever won any awards for comfort), but now I love them. I've used super-comfy, closed-back headphones all my life, and the SR80i's are my first pair p\of open-backs. Comfortable or not, they're still the best-sounding headphones I've heard for $100 or less.
 
Last edited:
I'm a fan, just this year I choose a pair of mdr 7506s over the much hyped audio technica ath m50s. They sounded too dark for my preference, though fit and comfort are near identical. You may want to consider them as well.
 
Well, thanks for all of your opinions, now I'm gonna have to go see if I can find somewhere nearby that I can test them out, because I made the mistake with my previous headphones(Sony MDR-V150's) which I bought solely off of a friend's experience and the reviews on amazon, which was a big mistake, as they sound decent for my purposes, but nowhere near as comfortable as I expected. Probably most anything would be an upgrade for me, who is satisfied by my $16 Skullcandy earbuds, but yes. Also, I had noticed the Grado SR-60i and 80i, and I noticed that for the 80i, it said that to unlock their full potential, one would need a headphone amp, which I do not have, but yeah, maybe ListenUp Audio will have them.
I found this post on Head-Fi gave me a smile -- goes right to the point :yes::
"I've owned a pair of V6's since the earth cooled. Given what you're looking for I don't think you'll be disappointed."
My experience exactly (except I own two pair!) They are sooo comfortable, fold up for travelling, have a single very durable coil cord with a combo jack; and at 32 ohms can be driven by just about anything. Their only flaw (don't know why Sony still hasn't corrected it in ~20 years!) are those damn earpads, which literally decompose in a year, and are hot and sweaty besides! I replaced both pairs with the Sony's twice before ordering the Beyerdynamics velour pads from B&H Photo. What a difference!

I have recently become a Yamaha orthodynamics freak :hdphones: So sadly, these two don't get much airtime anymore :tears: and I'll probably sell them soon.
 
For $100, I'd buy a pair of Sennhesiser HD280 Pros. Actually, I have 2 pair. A pair for work and a pair at home for when I don't want to disturb anyone. When disturbing others isn't an issue. I use my Sennheiser HD600's, which are in another league.
 
I'm a fan, just this year I choose a pair of mdr 7506s over the much hyped audio technica ath m50s. They sounded too dark for my preference, though fit and comfort are near identical. You may want to consider them as well.

The ATH-M30's are great cans too - and less expensive than the M50's. They are very, very comfortable. Their big "problem" is the 11' wire. Great for the living room/recording studio. Not so much for the bus, or treadmill.
 
Sonys for me . I've had the V600 for years now . Once a pro drummer now doing it part time and still record . I use them in the studio when I track and on the plane with the mp3 . Yea my pads fell apart too . I've used all sorts of "cans" thru out the years . But these are tanks ! They fold up , people have sat on them and I drop them all the time . They get kicked around on stage and step on them sometimes in the drum booth , but they hold up and sound GOOD . But you'll have to hear them yourself .
 
I've used a pair of V6s as standby phones for a couple of dozen years. They sure can take a licking because years ago when my dog was just a pup he drug mine out in the yard. I don't know how long they were out there but I found them one day mostly soaked in rain. What was left of the pads were chewed off. I thought they were history but threw them in the closet. One day I was cleaning the closet, and decided to see if they worked. I was amazed that they seemed to work fine. I replaced the pads with the Beyerdynamic velours and enjoy them to this day. They don't compete with my high end phones, and yeah, you may be able to buy some better sounding phones for the money, but I'm sold on my tried and true V6s.
 
Back
Top Bottom