• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony ps-x65 vs ps-x600 biotracer?

Ps-x65 or ps-x600

  • Ps-x65

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Ps-x600

    Votes: 3 50.0%

  • Total voters
    6

TrevorBarten

Well-Known Member
I just picked up a very nice condition ps-x65 that I got for a decent price. I am not sure what to do with it though. I am currently using a ps-x600 and have had a few ps-x800s in and out of rotation. I am eventually planning on getting a ps-x75 but they are, atleast here, nearly impossible to find. Have had plenty of defective ones though. As far as I can tell the ps-x65 is just a ps-x75 but without a biotracer tonearm. The ps-x600 is quite a bit smaller and has a straight tonearm but it does have the famous biotracer tonearm technology. So keeping all this in mind is it worth switching my ps-x600 out for a ps-x65? The market value of the ps-x600 is probably slightly higher than what I paid for the ps-x65 so I wouldn't be loosing out on any money. Also worthy of note, the ps-x65 currently has a stanton 681 EEE cartridge with what seems to be a nice condition original stylus.
 
Register to hide this ad
You seem to have had bad luck with PS-X75's so why not give its successor, the PS-7X00 a shot? I have one and it works flawlessly, and will never go back to using a regular tonearm. One thing that happens on subsequent generations of a product is known problems are eliminated.
 
As far as I can tell the ps-x65 is just a ps-x75 but without a biotracer tonearm.
Funny that you say that because this isn't true. The ps-x65 has lateral biotracer functions. So there is lateral active/electromagnetic damping and microprocessor antiskating control.
So it's certainly not a regular tonearm; it is more like half a biotracer :biggrin:

If your ps-x65 is in good condition, I think I would keep the ps-x65 over the ps-x600.
The PS-x600 is from a cheaper series. For instance it has no VTA control, whereas the PS-x65, PS-x75 and PX-x700 have VTA on the fly.
 
Last edited:
You seem to have had bad luck with PS-X75's so why not give its successor, the PS-7X00 a shot? I have one and it works flawlessly, and will never go back to using a regular tonearm. One thing that happens on subsequent generations of a product is known problems are eliminated.
Because the ps-x700 was only released in Japan as far as I am aware, at the very least it was never released in Europe. Not to mention it's not at all easy to find. Shipping a recordplayer from Japan is expensive and if it was not an issue importing I would probably be able to find a working ps-x75 as well. Also I doubt that the irreplaceable ic on the ps-x700 is any different compared to the ps-x75.
 
Funny that you say that because this isn't true. The ps-x65 has lateral biotracer functions. So there is lateral active/electromagnetic damping and microprocessor antiskating control.
So it's certainly not a regular tonearm; it is more like half a biotracer :biggrin:

If your ps-x65 is in good condition, I think I would keep the ps-x65 over the ps-x600.
The PS-x600 is from a cheaper series. For instance it has no VTA control, whereas the PS-x65, PS-x75 and PX-x700 have VTA on the fly.
I did not know this. Thank you for the tip.
 
Because the ps-x700 was only released in Japan as far as I am aware, at the very least it was never released in Europe. Not to mention it's not at all easy to find. Shipping a recordplayer from Japan is expensive and if it was not an issue importing I would probably be able to find a working ps-x75 as well. Also I doubt that the irreplaceable ic on the ps-x700 is any different compared to the ps-x75.
I'm pretty sure that infamous IC, MB8841-209L, didn't find its way into the 700.
 
That's amazing. I'd read about the Arduino substitute but this is so much better. There may be a lot of PS-X65 and 75's rising from the dead soon.
 
I'd read about the Arduino substitute but this is so much better.
Yes multiple people are trying to make/making an alternative for the chip, but this is the first drop in replacement I've seen.
But I havent actually seen it work and don't know if he's going to sell it.
Of course I hope it'll work and will come to market.
 
Funny that you say that because this isn't true. The ps-x65 has lateral biotracer functions. So there is lateral active/electromagnetic damping and microprocessor antiskating control.
So it's certainly not a regular tonearm; it is more like half a biotracer :biggrin:

If your ps-x65 is in good condition, I think I would keep the ps-x65 over the ps-x600.
The PS-x600 is from a cheaper series. For instance it has no VTA control, whereas the PS-x65, PS-x75 and PX-x700 have VTA on the fly.
Ended up finding a good deal on a Japanese ps-x75 on eBay that's fully functional. I paid 530 shipped and considering the defective one that just sold on german ebay for 500 excl shipping I feel like I got pretty lucky even if it's a 100 volt model. DSC_2654.JPG
 
I just picked up a very nice condition ps-x65 that I got for a decent price. I am not sure what to do with it though. I am currently using a ps-x600 and have had a few ps-x800s in and out of rotation. I am eventually planning on getting a ps-x75 but they are, atleast here, nearly impossible to find. Have had plenty of defective ones though. As far as I can tell the ps-x65 is just a ps-x75 but without a biotracer tonearm. The ps-x600 is quite a bit smaller and has a straight tonearm but it does have the famous biotracer tonearm technology. So keeping all this in mind is it worth switching my ps-x600 out for a ps-x65? The market value of the ps-x600 is probably slightly higher than what I paid for the ps-x65 so I wouldn't be loosing out on any money. Also worthy of note, the ps-x65 currently has a stanton 681 EEE cartridge with what seems to be a nice condition original stylus.

Years ago I had both. Plus the X75. There are 3 main drawbacks to the X600. 1. no arm height adjustment. 2. a platter than rings like crazy. 3. cheap internal arm wiring.

Almost all DD tables benefit greatly from added platter damping. For 99 bucks you can buy a brass mat from Doukmall on ebay. Place the brass under a rubber mat and you will be shocked at the clarity improvement. Unfortunately the stock X600, X65 and X75 mats won't work since they have locating bumps built into the bottom side of the mat to position them on the alum platter.
 
Back
Top Bottom