• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony SS-5177 Made in Norway

Oh, regarding the Tac7 sealant. Just add some to possible cracks? Or apply a layer to the whole surrounds?
Just add some but as little as possible to the cracks. This is becuase you should add as little weight as possible to the speaker. Also are you talking about the same tek 7 becuase the reason i use it on sourrounds is becuase its strong but flexible if you use something like paper glue which is not flexible it will generate some nasty distortion.
 
Just add some but as little as possible to the cracks. This is becuase you should add as little weight as possible to the speaker. Also are you talking about the same tek 7 becuase the reason i use it on sourrounds is becuase its strong but flexible if you use something like paper glue which is not flexible it will generate some nasty distortion.

Don’t know, I just googled Tek7 when you mentioned it. And all results pointed to the same Tec7 product. ”Fog- och tätningsmassa” in Swedish, sold on ”Classe” and a bunch of other stores...
 
Don’t know, I just googled Tek7 when you mentioned it. And all results pointed to the same Tec7 product. ”Fog- och tätningsmassa” in Swedish, sold on ”Classe” and a bunch of other stores...
I know you are excited over the Sony speakers but just wait a little bit i have to think this over. If you use the wrong glue you might damage the sourround but then again are there any noticable cracks? If not then you dont need to repair the sourround yet.
 
I know you are excited over the Sony speakers but just wait a little bit i have to think this over. If you use the wrong glue you might damage the sourround but then again are there any noticable cracks? If not then you dont need to repair the sourround yet.

Sure, no rush for me! I’m eager to learn, but I won’t touch anything unless I know exactly what I’m doing. And why. :)

If cracks cause distortion, I haven’t heard it at least. The dullness shouldn’t be due to that, right?

What do you make of this closeup of one of the woofers? Anything resembling a crack?
 

Attachments

  • BB717174-134B-4A89-AEAD-291CAB4E4E2E.jpeg
    BB717174-134B-4A89-AEAD-291CAB4E4E2E.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 9
About the possible age / manufacturing year. Both woofer and mid says 46/73, which I gather means they were ”tested fine” in week 46 of 1973. Hey, anniversary coming up in just 9 days! :D

Don’t know how long it could take for them to actually end up in a speaker, but if the 5177A line ran 1975 through 1976 (says Hifi Engine at least), then these A-less ones are probably older...
 

Attachments

  • BDDF6D7C-ED0B-411F-B12F-D406738609C9.jpeg
    BDDF6D7C-ED0B-411F-B12F-D406738609C9.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 9F8C6DB2-E140-40A2-B7C0-8756741FDA95.jpeg
    9F8C6DB2-E140-40A2-B7C0-8756741FDA95.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 8
Yeah the tec 7 Will do Just fine.
https://skvis.no/nb-no/hjem-hage/ha...jqJqzcCrSqLV_6PmIE-bx_nFdickhEc8aAkTvEALw_wcB
This is just an example you dont have to order from this site. But are you sure its a crack and not some wierd paper deformation one easy way to tell is to take your finger under the sourround and push up under the crack gently if it begins to open you should seal it if its Just a paper deformation then you should probably leave it as is.
 
Thanks for the link! @Jegerdød That is the product I had seen. Will get the black one if needed.

And thanks for the suggested method of checking the surrounds, will try that later today. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom