• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SONY SS-G777ES - should I buy

Ronito6

Super Member
I have and opportunity to buy a pair of SONY SS-G777ES
They were Sony's flagship speakers in 1988 made

Assuming they are properly working, are they worth 500.00?

I know few of these entered the USA, but Germany seems to have imported the lion's share of these that were exported abroad.

They seem comparable to Yamaha NS-2000

I have a couple weeks to think on it.

So...what do the learned here think?
 
Register to hide this ad
No idea on their value, but I'd have to guess that they'd be worth close to that based merely on their rarity.

Sony's penultimate high-end loudspeaker - unknown worldwide and even in Japan...

Pity because this really was no toy, nor a gimmicky thing filled with far-flung technologies. Unfortunately, Sony didn't advertise about them at all and, as a result, the misconception did continue : Sony does not do worthwhile high-end audio.

The bass driver uses uni-directional carbon fibers with a slightly exponential cone shape.

The high and mid drivers are based on Silicon Carbonate Fine Ceramics (SiC) which has an inherent dispersion speed of ds 12,400 meters /s.
Carbon domes are shaped, then vapor deposited with SiC ; the base domes are then discarded to retain only the SiC film/dome with 99,999% purity and geometrical accuracy.

Btw, SiC was first used by Sony in 1980 on the extra-rare SH-500 cartridge headshell.

AlNiCo magnets are used for all three drivers ; the network reduces the bass driver's back-current from influencing the mid / high circuits and is filled with large metalized paper and (european) polypropylene caps as was done in the APM-6 or SS-G7.

The work on the enclosure went through several phases, which the first publicly shown version was made of large (in width) style with rounded edges everywhere.
This pre-production proved to be bass-shy so a different design was devised : 4cm thick with 4x 3-ply beechwood, 4-ply birch, semi-edgy surfaces finished in real rosewood.

Polyurethane, resin washers and felt+rubber-damped screws further evacuate vibrations of the bass driver.

I have no idea of the production run but it could be around 500 pairs. Where they all went is another matter...

attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php


attachment.php
Dave
 

Attachments

  • a.jpg
    a.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 325
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 322
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 323
  • i.jpg
    i.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 322
Hmmmm... I'd be extremely tempted. You could always resell them, and likely for more money if you target Japan and Germany, if you didn't like them. Stunning loudspeakers - hard to make a wooden box look better than that...
 
These things were 200,000 yen each back in 1988. I don't know about 1988 dollars, but today that is more than $2400 each. Yamaha NS-2000s rang in at 228,000 yen each back in '82.

Yeah, I'd be mighty tempted.

Dave
 
look a little like the unobtanium diatone speakers from Mitsubishi from the same Time frame if you can hear them before you buy them and you like them i would spend the money for them
 
Highly likely I will pop for these now.

Thanks for the input!

To be continued in a couple weeks...I guess
 
I agree it sounds a little high. They may have sold for a lot new back in the day but now they are 25 years old and parts are unobtainium. Price accordingly!
 
DeaL delayed

Well, right when I was about to fork over the cash. A financial curve ball blew my plans of wasteful, purely selfish, spending right out of the water.

The speakers however have not been bought out from under me, to my surprise.

Finances should be in-line again come September.

If they are still available (and I am half certain they will be) I will pop for them then. September is my birthday month after all.

Otherwise, I discovered a pair of Yamaha NS 2000 that seem to be calling my name. More expensive though as they are better known.

Japan is vintage audio heaven:banana:
 
Last edited:
Sony SS-G777ES

Hey Ronito6,
I have been looking for the ss-g777es for quite some time now. If you happen to purchase the Yamaha NS 2000s ( :drool: ) over the Sonys, try to get in touch with me. I'd like to have the opportunity to purchase the Sonys, if at all possible. I am a Chicago native, but recently moved to Munich, Germany. Lord knows that, even if I happen to have the chance to purchase the speakers, arranging for shipping will be a blast :D

This hobby is driving me nuts ... why couldn't I have picked something more healthy :music:

Best Regards,
Denis
 
Well, the journey nears its end.

With cash in hand I went down to the shop where the G777es' have spent the last few months. Of course they were still there. I say "of course" because they don't look very pretty: They are not clean, the front grills has holes in the fabric, and the cabinet has scratches as well as very moderate water damage. (Some clamps and some wood epoxy should remedy the problem rather easily. I have refinished furniture before, but I must admit this job will require me to pick-up a couple new skills. Cool. )

After examining the drivers for any cracks or other signs of damage (none)
I then hooked the speakers up to a Sansui 607 and a Sony branded CD player they had nearby. The sound...beautiful.

I live in Osaka, and one of my favorite places to go is the local branch of Hifi Do
where the very friendly staff (one of whom has top notch English) has allowed me to drool over their hi-end gear. So I have had the opportunity to educate myself on a lot fantastic gear there. These G777s easily sounded a good as any bookshelf design speaker that I have experienced there (Yamaha NS-1000 and NS-2000 to be a bit more precise.) at about 1/3th the price.

I'll be posting a new thread about them when they arrive next week.

It took a while, but they are finally mine.

All that is left is to fix the cosmetics.
 
Well, the journey nears its end.

With cash in hand I went down to the shop where the G777es' have spent the last few months. Of course they were still there. I say "of course" because they don't look very pretty: They are not clean, the front grills has holes in the fabric, and the cabinet has scratches as well as very moderate water damage. (Some clamps and some wood epoxy should remedy the problem rather easily. I have refinished furniture before, but I must admit this job will require me to pick-up a couple new skills. Cool. )

After examining the drivers for any cracks or other signs of damage (none)
I then hooked the speakers up to a Sansui 607 and a Sony branded CD player they had nearby. The sound...beautiful.

I live in Osaka, and one of my favorite places to go is the local branch of Hifi Do
where the very friendly staff (one of whom has top notch English) has allowed me to drool over their hi-end gear. So I have had the opportunity to educate myself on a lot fantastic gear there. These G777s easily sounded a good as any bookshelf design speaker that I have experienced there (Yamaha NS-1000 and NS-2000 to be a bit more precise.) at about 1/3th the price.

I'll be posting a new thread about them when they arrive next week.

It took a while, but they are finally mine.

All that is left is to fix the cosmetics.

:thmbsp::thmbsp::thmbsp:
 
Well, the journey nears its end.

With cash in hand I went down to the shop where the G777es' have spent the last few months. Of course they were still there. I say "of course" because they don't look very pretty: They are not clean, the front grills has holes in the fabric, and the cabinet has scratches as well as very moderate water damage. (Some clamps and some wood epoxy should remedy the problem rather easily. I have refinished furniture before, but I must admit this job will require me to pick-up a couple new skills. Cool. )

After examining the drivers for any cracks or other signs of damage (none)
I then hooked the speakers up to a Sansui 607 and a Sony branded CD player they had nearby. The sound...beautiful.

I live in Osaka, and one of my favorite places to go is the local branch of Hifi Do
where the very friendly staff (one of whom has top notch English) has allowed me to drool over their hi-end gear. So I have had the opportunity to educate myself on a lot fantastic gear there. These G777s easily sounded a good as any bookshelf design speaker that I have experienced there (Yamaha NS-1000 and NS-2000 to be a bit more precise.) at about 1/3th the price.

I'll be posting a new thread about them when they arrive next week.

It took a while, but they are finally mine.

All that is left is to fix the cosmetics.

I think you made the right choice in choosing those over the Yamaha's or other Speakers :)
 
Back
Top Bottom