Virtus
New Member
Hello, everyone! I managed to get my hands on a very rare version of Sony SS-G7s speakers. There is little information about these remarkable speakers on the Internet, but I managed to find some. And now I want to share it with you.
In the late 1970s, Sony developed a system with active crossovers. Thus, the Sony TA-D88 active crossover was released in the PRE ESPRIT series, and later the Sony TA-D900 in the ESPRIT series. They were designed to work with Sony's flagship four-way acoustic headphones, the APM 8 and SS-G9. These speaker systems were equipped with units for connecting four separate amplifiers for each speaker via an external crossover located inside the built-in speaker with a filter. Apparently, Sony engineers remembered their extremely popular Sony SS-G7 three-way speakers, released in 1976. They decided to supplement the existing Sony SS-Ga Sony SS-G7 model by adding a module for connecting their Sony TA-D88 or Sony TA-D900 crossovers.
It is unknown how many pairs of these speakers were produced, but it is quite obvious that there were very few. I heard that only a few hundred pairs were sold in Germany. They are very rare on the European second-hand market. I found my pair in Belgium and bought them without hesitation thanks to a friend who was able to pick them up from the seller. I have a Sony TA-D88 crossover in my collection and was looking for a worthy pair for it.

This is what the speaker wire connection block looks like.

View from inside the block:

I am interested in your opinion. Perhaps someone has experience using SONY TA-D88 or SONY TA-D900 as an external crossover. If you are interested in these speaker systems, I can tell you about their design and the minor repairs I have made.
In the late 1970s, Sony developed a system with active crossovers. Thus, the Sony TA-D88 active crossover was released in the PRE ESPRIT series, and later the Sony TA-D900 in the ESPRIT series. They were designed to work with Sony's flagship four-way acoustic headphones, the APM 8 and SS-G9. These speaker systems were equipped with units for connecting four separate amplifiers for each speaker via an external crossover located inside the built-in speaker with a filter. Apparently, Sony engineers remembered their extremely popular Sony SS-G7 three-way speakers, released in 1976. They decided to supplement the existing Sony SS-Ga Sony SS-G7 model by adding a module for connecting their Sony TA-D88 or Sony TA-D900 crossovers.
It is unknown how many pairs of these speakers were produced, but it is quite obvious that there were very few. I heard that only a few hundred pairs were sold in Germany. They are very rare on the European second-hand market. I found my pair in Belgium and bought them without hesitation thanks to a friend who was able to pick them up from the seller. I have a Sony TA-D88 crossover in my collection and was looking for a worthy pair for it.

This is what the speaker wire connection block looks like.

View from inside the block:

I am interested in your opinion. Perhaps someone has experience using SONY TA-D88 or SONY TA-D900 as an external crossover. If you are interested in these speaker systems, I can tell you about their design and the minor repairs I have made.
Last edited: