• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony STR-7065 or Luxman 1030?

KIMBOLAM

New Member
Thinking about picking a Luxman 1030 up this week. Anyone here experienced with the Sony STR-6055 or 7065? I know the Sony are amazing quality built and stunning sound and most people haven't really pay attention to Sony's receivers. Should i go with the Sony or Luxman? Any info is appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Thinking about picking a Luxman 1030 up this week. Anyone here experienced with the Sony STR-6055 or 7065? Should i go with the Sony or Luxman?

Your question assumes there are folks here who have owned or still do the 3 different units you mention and at the time thought to do an A/B/C comparison test to see which one they liked better.

My guess is there is probably not too many if at all folks who have so I would temper your expectations with regards to replies.

If you can try demoing them and that way you can let your ears be the deciding factor

... I know the Sony are amazing quality built and stunning sound and most people haven't really pay attention to Sony's receivers.

Not even close to true, there are a lot of fans here and elsewhere of Sony.
 
Last edited:
I always say go by looks and weight. I love the look at that Luxman but they are ultra-rare around here, the only one I've ever seen was curbside in Paris, I posted that in a recent thread. The Luxman is going to get looks because it's a nice, sophisticated looking unit.

Sony's have officially hit the radar over the last few years, they were the leading bargains for the last 25 years. I'm not sure why, maybe they are a little plainer and Sony's Name was everywhere so there wasn't a rush to grab them. My biggest issue with the 70's Sony's is they all seem to need a weekend at DeOxit's, the pops, crackles and low volume seem to be built in. They just don't get respect but I do love the McDonald's Orange Colors they emit and if you can find the matching components they can look very nice.
 
I'd say the 7065. It is the more powerful unit at 60 wpc. The reviews on hi-fi engine suggest it sounds very nice as well. I would say this is probably your best bet. But that's just my take on it
 
I've heard both units. Luxman is superb sounding, but low powered. With efficient speakers, a nice unit. The Sony's more powerful, and better build quality, and happens to sound quite excellent. I am a Sony owner myself, a low hours, pristine STR-6050.
 
My brother’s first unit. Got me to get the TA-2000, Stereo 120 kit and KT-7000 back in the day.

I didn’t comment in this thread because there are many that like these early STR units and I know the Lux is a nice sounding unit. The power difference might be the deciding factor even if the Lux sounds a bit better. Gotta be a place in the crib for each of them.
 
My brother’s first unit. Got me to get the TA-2000, Stereo 120 kit and KT-7000 back in the day.

I didn’t comment in this thread because there are many that like these early STR units and I know the Lux is a nice sounding unit. The power difference might be the deciding factor even if the Lux sounds a bit better. Gotta be a place in the crib for each of them.
I am kind of bias...
1760802587137.png
 
Back
Top Bottom