• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony STR-GX10ES Power Supply Recap

Did you bypass the filter caps?
Try a 1uF or higher 100V+ quality film cap in parallel with each cap, soldered directly across the terminals.

?...What effect on the sound will this do...I guess my next ? is...Why?
I have seen other threads on the subject of bypass filter caps.

What do you recommend?
 
It will improve the high frequency resolution, in my experience. I've had very positive experience doing this, and I do it to every non-budget restoration now.

Even a cheap 10uF 100V cap (Like this http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/surplus-capacitors/10.0-mfd-polypropylene-cap-10mfdp/tyee/) will work fine.

OK...Would 10uf sound different then say using 1uf or 20uf? Never have done this but I am willing to give it a go.

I don't mind spending some $$ on a film...I am putting together a parts list from Parts Connexion anyway...looking at Bargain Basement and they have a Clarity, ESA 1uf 630v.
 
The Main board can be accessed from the bottom. I will also be doing the EQ Amp (pic). The Tuner is the outside board..Will be leaving this alone.

I am still looking at the Tone Board...May need to skip this as way to many connectors and screws to take off.

I am going to switch the caps for Main Board and EQ to Elna Silmic II. I really like these in the Amp sections as the sound (to me) is more Full from Lows-Highs.
The Nichicon FG are more "Neutral" which I have used in the Luxman L-450 and this fits well for Luxman.
 

Attachments

  • SonySTR-GX10ESf.jpg
    SonySTR-GX10ESf.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 84
I had to switch to Nichicon FG and Nichicon KZ for the Main Board.

Nice CLEAN sound and I can hear each instrument. Leaving this on all night...Need to burn these in.

Next..I would like to get the Tone Board...Looking back at my other recaps..this is a must as this Improves the Tone alot.
 

Attachments

  • SonySTR-GX10ESg.jpg
    SonySTR-GX10ESg.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 92
  • SonySTR-GX10ESh.jpg
    SonySTR-GX10ESh.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 92
Tone Board done..no pics...But the EQ/Regulator board is done..

All is good and Sounding Very Nice...The tuner in this is OK..I now will be recapping this board...

I am using Elna Silmic II in place of the Nichicon Muse that were in the unit.
Why...I had installed Nichicon KZ and switched to Silmic II...As in the Main Board..the Silmic II are a BETTER cap then KZ (for this application).

Now...I noticed that when I unplug the power..I lose the Radio Memory stations? :scratch2:...Need to see if this is using a Memory Cap..Looks like
the Volume Motor is out...I do get power...Not sure if another Sony uses this part...I will post the Part #.
 

Attachments

  • SonySTR-GX10ESi.jpg
    SonySTR-GX10ESi.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 71
  • SonySTR-GX10ESj.jpg
    SonySTR-GX10ESj.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 70
sometimes they use a memory cap, usually a super capacitor, maybe a few Farads at 6.3 or 5v.
Or the battery could be dead, if they used a battery.
 
Nice job.Love to see them restored to there former glory.Maybe even better now.
So the motor gets power,but it doesn't work.That's too bad :(
 
sometimes they use a memory cap, usually a super capacitor, maybe a few Farads at 6.3 or 5v.
Or the battery could be dead, if they used a battery.

Found the Memory Cap...5.5v .1f...Adding to my Mouser order..

Going to order the caps Friday that includes Turner. Was not going to..but, since I have done all the boards...why not.
 
I have a motorized Alps pot from a Sony ES preamp (TA-DM1000ES) somewhere... the pot itself is worthless now, modified from stereo to mono use only thanks to a hamhanded shipper.

But the motor itself works fine, might be able to use it to salvage yours. I have the Sony p/n at home for the TA-DM1000ES v/c, we can compare notes.

John
 
I have a motorized Alps pot from a Sony ES preamp (TA-DM1000ES) somewhere... the pot itself is worthless now, modified from stereo to mono use only thanks to a hamhanded shipper.

But the motor itself works fine, might be able to use it to salvage yours. I have the Sony p/n at home for the TA-DM1000ES v/c, we can compare notes.

John

I will send you a PM...THANKS!!!!
 
Been working on some other items...OK..Parts are in.

Memory Cap is in and Radio Presets are saving.

Recapped the Tuner Board and this Now SOUNDS full...Love those Caps..:yes:

Volume Motor is still not working...Will need to look out for a Motor...

So I am Done...Onto the next Recap...:thmbsp:
 

Attachments

  • SonySTR-GX10ESk.jpg
    SonySTR-GX10ESk.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 74
Might post a pic of the motor... since Sony doesn't appear to have identified it as a separate item from the actual v/c in their manuals. May still be able to interchange it with a motor from another Alps pot. I forgot to look for my broken one, did the service manual check and it's a different p/n than yours but like I said, the motors may be same.

John
 
Hello, are you still trying to get the volume motor to work? I have a GX40ES that I could scavenge the part from. No clue if it works because I never had a remote for it, but the indicator LED on the volume knob is connected to the motor board and that works.

You can see it in the far bottom right of this picture I took, it's connected to the main board with a white ribbon cable.

gx401.jpg
 
You are correct...The space on the lugs are 10mm.

I need to switch to 2Pin....So the replacement is:

(2) Nichicon LS 10,000uf 80v 35x50- LLS1K103MELC
(2) Nichicon KG 2200uf 100v
(3) Nichicon FG 2200 35v
(2) Nichicon FG 100uf 63v

I soon as I get in the Service Manual..I will get a cap list for Tone Board, Control Board and Main Board. I am at this time not touching the Tuner Board.

This picture has a crack on board.
 

Attachments

  • SonySTR-GX10ESd.jpg
    SonySTR-GX10ESd.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 124
Did you see the huge crack in your board there?
Every board is now recapped...:D

Shipping....I have re-solder the traces at the cracks and epoxy the board
to make is stronger. When I did get this unit...Right Channel had static.

Sweet Music now...I am still in search of a Volume motor board.
 

Attachments

  • SonySTR-GX10ESl.jpg
    SonySTR-GX10ESl.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom