• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

sony str v6 vs nikko 1415

not sure if I am in the right forum but here goes. I have the opportunity to trade my sony strv6 for a nikko 1415. If anyone has any opinion as to which they prefer and why. I am only looking at it to drive at 4ohm and the sony really doesn't produce much more power at 4 ohm according to tests I find on web.It craps out at 133 wpc at 4 ohm. I was considering 4 ohm speakers and wonder if the nikko may be better for it is all other than that it's not much difference as I don't crank it up much living in an apt building. Nikko is 175 wpc and sony rated 115 wpc. Maybe the pre amp is better in one or the other but it's going over my head at that point of comparison. Anyways any opinions welcome. Maybe I just like the idea of a monster 175 watts not sure what the need is.
 
Register to hide this ad
I was never a fan of the STR V6, to me they sounded sterile and dry. I've never heard the 1415 but did have a Nikko 8085 for a couple of years. Decent sounding receiver, maybe a little light in the midrange. If you want to drive 4 ohm loads look for a good pre/power setup or an integrated rated for 4 ohm loads that doubles down or gets close to doubling it's 8 ohm rating when running 4 ohm. Using vintage receivers to run 4 ohm loads is like taking a nice vintage trunk and using it to pull stumps.
 
The 1415 is probably the best receiver Nikko made. It was designed for and competed against some of the best receivers of the vintage market - Pioneer sx1250, Technics SA-5760, Marantz 2325, Kenwood 9600 Sansui 9090, and held its own, both in performance and reliability. In my mind, as long as it is up to snuff, no contest.
 
I have both the NR-1015 and NR-815. They have both pulled duty powering "stacked" Original Large Advents (4 ohm load) with no problem. To my ear, the 1015 and especially the 815 have a smooth sound that may or may not be to your liking.

Can you listen to the 1415 with your speakers before you trade away the Sony?
 
Still working on trade now he wants cash as well so not gonna happen the Sony is fine with me. the Nikko is well looked after and functions well 4 ohm speakers would be added later. I like either one. Sony is plenty of power for me but you can never have enough and I like the look of the Nikko better but either way thanks for all the opinions. Seems like a fairly equal swap imo as I have also purchased from him before I can assume proper function of it and will wait and see.
 
Back
Top Bottom