So, the other day I looked down at my Sony TA-N77ES Power Amp and noticed that one of my attenuator knobs had disappeared. Like many Sony Parts for decades-old equipment that part is out of stock.
Several people on this forum discussed looking for a different type of unit for a replacement and I'd like to say I found at least one after asking lots of questions about the diameter and D-shaped slot on the back for connection. A seller said their part was 21mm and there was indeed a D-shaped connection to the attenuator control. His pictures were kind of dark and I couldn't quite make out the D-shape.
So I placed my BIN and even though the total price was high overall, I was done rolling around on the floor looking for the wayward knob. The replacement knob was a balance knob for a TA-AV480. I found the Service Manual for that unit and it had the same part number listed as the one in my Service Manual for the TA-N77ES. I got the part and it fits just fine.
So I let the seller know and he changed his auction to this "Sony TA-N77ES P/N 4-916746-01 Attenuator Knob. Tested. I'm sure his tester was me, but that's OK.
So, don't give up, you might have to search through a few service manuals for parts numbers matching your need. Some of these less-prized Sony pieces are more likely to be parted out than the more expensive ones.
Here's his actual auction (while it lasts), he used to have four of the knobs. Funny, he doesn't even mention they fit a TA-AV480 anymore.
I thought of buying two, but spending $50 for two, one for backup, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.
Several people on this forum discussed looking for a different type of unit for a replacement and I'd like to say I found at least one after asking lots of questions about the diameter and D-shaped slot on the back for connection. A seller said their part was 21mm and there was indeed a D-shaped connection to the attenuator control. His pictures were kind of dark and I couldn't quite make out the D-shape.
So I placed my BIN and even though the total price was high overall, I was done rolling around on the floor looking for the wayward knob. The replacement knob was a balance knob for a TA-AV480. I found the Service Manual for that unit and it had the same part number listed as the one in my Service Manual for the TA-N77ES. I got the part and it fits just fine.
So I let the seller know and he changed his auction to this "Sony TA-N77ES P/N 4-916746-01 Attenuator Knob. Tested. I'm sure his tester was me, but that's OK.
So, don't give up, you might have to search through a few service manuals for parts numbers matching your need. Some of these less-prized Sony pieces are more likely to be parted out than the more expensive ones.
Here's his actual auction (while it lasts), he used to have four of the knobs. Funny, he doesn't even mention they fit a TA-AV480 anymore.
I thought of buying two, but spending $50 for two, one for backup, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.