• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony Tape Deck Belts

MisterFishey

Super Member
I have a Sony TC-WR665S tape deck, pretty fancy, and it needs new capstan belts, Sony part 335941701. Can anyone recommend a site that does a good job having the part, fast shipping & handling, etc. I poked around a bit, and it seems like $3.81 a belt is the standard price. Not that unreasonable, IMO.

Thanks! :-)
 
Register to hide this ad
I always got all four belts for my TC-WR565 belts direct from Sony (800-488-7669) or http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/index.jsp . Your transport's the same as mine, except you have Dolby S.

335941701 is the "belt (flat), capstan", $3.08 each (in 2005)
335946601 is the "belt (fr), square" that seems to drive a tape movement sensor at the upper right of each transport. It's about the size of a quarter(!), $3.08 each (in 2005) If that belt dissolves into goo, your transport will not run.
Shipping was $3.00

I highly recommend that you replace all four at once while you've got the deck apart. If you look carefully, you'll see a set of molded-in plastic pins that will hold the new capstan belt in place after you pry the transport halves apart and remove the old belt. Put the new belt on the pins, put the transport back together, and then push the belt off the pins onto the capstan flywheel and motor pulley. This will prevent you from getting grease on the brand-new belt! :yes:

Tom
 
I've actually taken apart the tape deck and taken out one of each belt to see if I could get any generic replacements, and unsurprisingly, I couldn't. I have seen the pins you talked about. Handy. My only gripe is that half the pulleys are on one half of the unit and the other half are on the other plastic piece, but that can't be helped.

I plan to replace all four belts, as you suggested, since if you're opening up the deck and paying for shipping, might as well future proof it.

It seems that I need to call Sony to order the parts. Oh well. Thanks!
 
Back
Top Bottom