• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony TC-765 Reel To Reel Tape machine No tape tension

lexmarks567

New Member
Hello.

I have a Sony TC-765 Reel to reel 4 track 2 channel duel capstan drive 3 motor 3 head reel to reel tape machine. When I got the unit the pinch rollers were gummed up and would not engage. I got them freed up but now I discovered the tape has no tension. The tape jerks and ends up getting eaten as the left reel or supply reel just freewheels as it's pulled. Doing some research I found that the issue is the left motor is not staying energized or the relay is not staying energized during play. The motor spins up for a second with no load but then freewheels down. It gets power for like a split second and that's it. Rewind and fast forward work no issues. I checked the fuses and all check out. The relay is a Omron LC1-C-US-DC24 which is 24 volts DC. it also says 25X7D on it also. The closet replacement I can find is a Omron LC1-C-UA-DC24 with 1512D on it. Are they compatible and am I chasing the right problem or what else should I look for or try?
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello.

I have a Sony TC-765 Reel to reel 4 track 2 channel duel capstan drive 3 motor 3 head reel to reel tape machine. When I got the unit the pinch rollers were gummed up and would not engage. I got them freed up but now I discovered the tape has no tension. The tape jerks and ends up getting eaten as the left reel or supply reel just freewheels as it's pulled. Doing some research I found that the issue is the left motor is not staying energized or the relay is not staying energized during play. The motor spins up for a second with no load but then freewheels down. It gets power for like a split second and that's it. Rewind and fast forward work no issues. I checked the fuses and all check out. The relay is a Omron LC1-C-US-DC24 which is 24 volts DC. it also says 25X7D on it also. The closet replacement I can find is a Omron LC1-C-UA-DC24 with 1512D on it. Are they compatible and am I chasing the right problem or what else should I look for or try?

Did you attempt to tap the relay with the handle of your screwdriver to see if unsticks?
I’ve never worked on the 645 but my older 651 machine had these spark arrestors (like way over-sized orange tick tacs) —2 of mine had burned slowing it down almost like a bad motor run cap would do. Do you have those?
 
Did you attempt to tap the relay with the handle of your screwdriver to see if unsticks?
I’ve never worked on the 645 but my older 651 machine had these spark arrestors (like way over-sized orange tick tacs) —2 of mine had burned slowing it down almost like a bad motor run cap would do. Do you have those?

I tapped it several times no change. Motor powers up for a split second then freewheels down. This the board. It has 1 of those spark arrestors I think. rewind and Fast forward work no issues.



 
Hi, are you guys still trying to solve this problem, because I'm having a problem with power. I'm only receiving power to my capstan motor when I press the power on switch. I was wondering could it be thes park arrestors (like way over-sized orange tick tacs)?
 
Back
Top Bottom