• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony TX-183s output transistor source?

absolon

Super Member
I need to replace one of these in a Sony TA3200F power amp.

Findchips.com can't locate one, datasheets.org has no listing for it so no datasheet and Google is no help either.

Anyone know of a source or short of that, an equivalent?
 
Register to hide this ad
Case is a TO-3 and the originals are marked as TX-183S on both the transistors and in the service manual. All other listings in the SM are transistor numbers (ie: 2SC1161, 2SA706, etc.) rather than Sony PNs so I assume the four TX-183S are the same. They are NPN.

Amp is rated at 100WPC into 8 0hms, filter caps are 80V, 8000uf.

Thanks EW.
 
According to the schematic and the Micronta transistor checker I tested with, they are indeed NPN.

Many thanks EW, I'll replace all four with your suggested alternative.
 
I've got 6 of the transistor on the way. MJ21194G's are available but the MJ21194's are apparently out of production and are non-stock, minimum order quantity 200 for availability. I found them for a good price at auction from a reputable seller and bought a couple of spares for insurance.
 
For the record, after extensive searching I finally found some info on the TX-183S on a Spanish language Tech site. Language is web translated so a little odd:

Data transistor are: tension collector base: 500v
tension collector-emitter:300v Collector-emitter voltage: 300v
tension base-emisor:5v Base-emitter voltage: 5v
max.corriente de colector:3a con. Max.corriente collector: 3rd with
10pico
max.device diss.PD:100wats Max.device diss.PD: 100wats
frec. Weightings. :.....
gan. Gan. corriente Hfe:20 min. Current Hfe: 20 min.
encapsulado:TO-3 Encapsulation: TO-3

site: http://translate.google.com/transla...result&prev=/search?q=sony+tx-183s&hl=en&sa=G

There is also reference to the NTE162 as a substitute on the site, confirmed at the NTE cross reference site. No idea if it is correct, but specs are not too far off. Specs for the Motorola MJ21194 are also similar.


I did install the Motorolas in the unit and recapped it. Brought it up on a poor mans variac and with no apparent ill effects after working up to 100W bulb, I direct connected the amp and a 2sc1124 transistor in the output power limiter circuit promptly exploded. Caps have been triple checked and all are correct value and correctly installed so I'm assuming the problem is linked to the blown TX-183S transistor that was the first event in this chain. I finally located some spares of the 1124 that are on their way to me and have pulled out the amp again to see if I can track down the problem.

At this point with my limited knowledge, I'm planning on testing output voltages from the power supply board to see if the problem originates there and then will do component by component testing on the amp/limiter circuit board.

I'd welcome a more informed troubleshooting plan if any one can suggest one.
 
Buy transistors only at a reputable seller...Farnell for Europe (if that's where Lotusland is :)).

If the unit powered up with a 100W lamp and the lamp was nice and dim, but blew up once on full line voltage, I suspect fake outputs. I've seen this too many times (but not since I started buying authentic transistors from trustworthy sources).
 
Lotusland is Vancouver Island:nutz::smoke:

Thanks EW. Transistors could well be fakes. The 1124s I have coming might be as well. Nothing like a few more variables to make the situation really interesting. I'm going to assume the 1124s aren't worth counterfeiting and assume the 1194s are and maybe use the remaining 3 original transistors to test out one side at a time. I have already replaced the amp and look at this one as a learning experience.

After a thorough examination for shorts, burned components and the like I did finally plug it in and turn it on today just to see what would happen. Couple of 10v/1000uf caps on the PS board very quickly started letting out the magic smoke so it looks like I get to feel my way through a simpler problem initially.
 
Back
Top Bottom