• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony XDR-F1HD first impressions as a DX machine on a budget

You would be amazed how many times I get a consumer mail that starts with,
"Since analog FM will soon be discontinued when will.."
Statements like the one you quoted are irresponsible at best. To link a known fact like digital TV to some feeling is not doing the consumer any service.

thanks,
Ron-c
 
You would be amazed how many times I get a consumer mail that starts with,
"Since analog FM will soon be discontinued when will.."
Statements like the one you quoted are irresponsible at best. To link a known fact like digital TV to some feeling is not doing the consumer any service.

thanks,
Ron-c

Not linking. Paralleling.

I think most people get that...
 
Actually, I'm hoping the big media corporations such as Clear Channel vacate the FM band. This might happen if satellite or internet streaming become the dominant source for "radio" listening.

Then, only the small College style stations that truly care about sound quality would remain on the air.

Further, the FCC may eventually relax licensing requirements and allow previous "pirate" stations to become legal.

However, all this would go down the drain if the FCC decides to allocate the 88-108 MHz spectrum to some "digital" service.

Worse comes to worst, I'd build my own high quality flea powered transmitter to feed my Marantz 10B tuner! :D

Realistically though, FM should be with us for at least another 15 to 20 years. Think of all the FM equipped radios in brand new cars!
 
Ordered one of these yesterday through Amazon, ended up getting it with shipping for $97.00. My true test will be if it can get Michigan State's Student station WDBM. 2K watt station 70 miles away. Have 300 watt local Christian station at the same freq. Usually over rides it. Since so many tuners come through here, most can not receive this station during the day. Many at night, only T-9090II was able to pull a listable mono signal during the day. Will be fun to see what kind of modifications I can do improve the sound of it also.
 
You'll probably get the station if a tuner you have now can. I have a similar situation trying to receive the public station from U Mass Amherst in Albany NY area with the Berkshire mountains in between. There is a high power local adjacent station. Only my best modded tuners can receive it clean at night, and daytime clean reception is a crapshoot, even for the Sony.

If you can offer a mod to receive analog only, it may be a budding business. How to do it was figured out by Peter Koerner and posted on Brian Beezely's site. It involves some delicate work.
 
You'll probably get the station if a tuner you have now can. I have a similar situation trying to receive the public station from U Mass Amherst in Albany NY area with the Berkshire mountains in between. There is a high power local adjacent station. Only my best modded tuners can receive it clean at night, and daytime clean reception is a crapshoot, even for the Sony.

If you can offer a mod to receive analog only, it may be a budding business. How to do it was figured out by Peter Koerner and posted on Brian Beezely's site. It involves some delicate work.

There's one hill between about 1/2 way between here and there. The southern half of lower Michigan is pretty damn flat. The local station is only 300 watts amd can be some what tuned out with the APS13 and rotor. Most of time I resort to an internet feed when I'm in the mood for college radio. Hoping for the best with the Sony.

The modification to switch between the auto function of the tuner and analog only looks straight forward and well within my capability, will be one of the first things I do to the Sony.

I do want to try the HD thing, WDET which used to be one of the best music stations in the country, but went news and talk a couple years ago is now offering an alternate HD music feed will be interesting to see what they offer now, even if it's some of there live in studio concerts or older recorded programs it would be nice even if the quality sound isn't up to par, there programing used to outstanding, there over the air quality used to sound better than CD's.
 
I just got one of these too, and I'm quite pleased with it.

I have 3 high-quality local stations that are regular FM, and the Sony does a nice job on all 3.

On the HD stations, I haven't decided whether or not it sounds better. It's certainly quiet and more dynamic.

The 2nd HD channels are also interesting. As Aczel noted, some are commercial-free. I also found a station that plays all comedy on their 2nd channel. I spent a couple of hours last night listening to that. :)

Now I guess I have to look into getting a better antenna.
 
Some HD channels may be free today but there is no way a for-profit company can continue that for long. Enjoy it while you can as it is just a teaser or else they can't find advertisers willing to pay. Either way, it will change.
 
Some HD channels may be free today but there is no way a for-profit company can continue that for long. Enjoy it while you can as it is just a teaser or else they can't find advertisers willing to pay. Either way, it will change.

I'm sure you're right, but it's nice in the meantime. :)
 
On the HD stations, I haven't decided whether or not it sounds better. It's certainly quiet and more dynamic.

I'm definitely going to look into the mod to force analog FM.

HD is probably wonderful if you're playing the radio in another room, or over outdoor speakers, etc. In other words, background music. The quietness and better FR, plus more dynamic range (some, instead of none) all sound better when you're not listening critically.

When I actually sit down in front of my speakers and listen in stereo, I'm hearing stuff that reminds me of poorly done compressed audio, like a really bad mp3.
 
That is a deal!

thanks,
Ron-C

You are welcome!
Too bad I bought mine back in May so I am not eligible for the rebate :tears:. But glad to pass it along!

BTW, haven't had the chance to experience an "e-skip" DX opening yet. July is the best month. Hope it happens on the Sony!
 
Thanks for the coupon, Crooner.

I purchased mine on July 1 -- so I just made it.

Purchased from JandR.com and received it in 2 days. Their website now says that it is out of stock.

You should be able to purchase it anywhere to get the rebate. You just need the rebate form, UPC from carton and receipt. It's not a store coupon.

http://www.jr.com/sony/pe/SON_XDRF1HD/
 
Just bought my second one, this time off Amazon with free shipping. That coupon is too good to resist.

Left a review too. Just two stars due to the residual digitius on analog and lack of HD override.
 
The other truly "digital" tuner out there, the Accuphase T-1000 ($5,000), has digital outputs as well as analog outs. I wonder if there would be a place in the Sony to tap out the digital signal and run it through an outboard DAC?
 
Back
Top Bottom