• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sony's 'Big One'

Setting the bias and offset dosen't really alter the sound unless the are wwaaayyyy off. Sometimes, if too far off, will kick in the protection circuitry and the unit won't operate at all. Proper adjustment is good for the operational longevity of the piece of gear. Component values drift around over time and these values are adjustable for a reason. And you don't really have to 'tear into it' to do so. Simply remove the case (and possibley wooden end pieces - takes all of 5 minutes) and stick the probes into one of the sets of speaker terminals for the offset and then the other channel and use a small screwdriver to adjust the relevant pots. Generally a bit more complicated on the bias issue, as you have to measure between two points inside the unit. But, again, you may not have the option of adjusting, as about half the older gear does not have this available to adjust. Is simply set by a voltage divider and you get what you get, unless something wrong.

But, the directions on what/where to measure and what/where to adjust will only be in the service manual. AKers are very good at sharing this info and posting pic's and schematics, etc. But, your unit is so rare that I believe you are the only AKer I've read about that has one. So doubtful that anyone has a service manual. Besides, $16.95 isn't much and making the adjustments on your new baby are simply good insurance.
 
Yamaha B-2, thanks for the tips on getting started. I'm gonna go ahead and get the service manual. Looks like the GX10ES will be arriving on Saturday, so I'll report back after then for sure.
 
I hope that GX10ES sounds better than the GX5ES I had the displeasure of owning (VERY briefly) in the early 90s. That was the most lifeless hunk of metal I'd ever listened to.
 
Tleilax said:
I hope that GX10ES sounds better than the GX5ES I had the displeasure of owning (VERY briefly) in the early 90s. That was the most lifeless hunk of metal I'd ever listened to.

Uh oh! I typically never buy gear before I get to listen to it. Bought this one on reputation/specs only. On paper, it looks like a good unit. Will have to report back this weekend for sure.
 
SamS said:
Uh oh! I typically never buy gear before I get to listen to it. Bought this one on reputation/specs only. On paper, it looks like a good unit. Will have to report back this weekend for sure.

Sam, I wouldn't worry, the GX5ES was a bottom of the line (ES) receiver that year. The GX10ES was a "statement" from Sony. I wouldn't expect the GX5 to be anywhere close to the same leage.
 
When buying Sony, one should restrain oneself to the top two (sometimes three) units.
In this case, the GX5ES was the very distant botl of the series. Proof? It was exported to Europe :D
 
Amen Axel! The GX5ES is has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in common with the STR-GX10ES and Sony did a HUGE dis-service even placing the ES label on it! The GX5 is a run of the mill BLACK BOX, the GX10 is a TOTL all out audiophile receiver! :mad:
How do I know? I WAS the owner and am the Seller of the STR-GX10ES we are referring to and a fellow member of AK. :yes: I am VERY happy that a fellow AKer got the GX10. Sam, as a fellow member I too will await your assesment of the GX10. BTW guys Axel posted some more pictures of the GX10 that I sent him on the GX10 page of TVK.
 
Hello Elroy :wave:
I placed the images online this morning with more to come as another GX10ES owner has popped up since!
 
You know Axel, as I mentioned the auction I also have the GX90ES the replacement for the GX10, I dropped it off with Mr. Terry Dewick yesterday to work on. When he gets done, I'll follow up within this thread w/ pictures and feedback.
 
I'm so glad to hear the GX10ES is not even similar to the GX5. I had basically written off all Sony amplification equipment (post 1990) after that experience! Thanks for setting me straight!
 
Last edited:
:banana:

Looking forward to getting this piece and hooking it up this weekend.

If you guys have any questions or need more photos of something specific, lemme know.

There's one other AK'er with one (can't recall who), and another fellow was selling one on ebay a few months back.

I just got the service manual too.
 
Last edited:
Elroy said:
Tleilax I also have a GX7ES in the master BR (my wife' s) and even it isn't any where near the GX10ES in features and performance. Billbillw said it best:

The only ones that would be close in my mind are the GX9ES or the GX90ES, OR one of their top integrateds (TA-F770/880) + one of their top tuners (ST-S730), of which I will hopefully have shortly...
 
Last edited:
Anyone know anything about the STR-GX900ES? There is one with a BIN of $75 on eBay, but the seller can't provide pic's, so I passed. That and the fact that my nephew, who lives locally to the seller, has only a bicycle on which to pick it up.
 
Yamaha B-2 said:
Anyone know anything about the STR-GX900ES? There is one with a BIN of $75 on eBay, but the seller can't provide pic's, so I passed. That and the fact that my nephew, who lives locally to the seller, has only a bicycle on which to pick it up.

Its a Dolby Pro-logic receiver, 1994, 100WPC front 3 channels, 30wpc rear. After the downslide of Sony ES...

Manual at:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/STRGX900ES.PDF
 
billbillw said:
Its a Dolby Pro-logic receiver, 1994, 100WPC front 3 channels, 30wpc rear. After the downslide of Sony ES...
Sort of what I thought. That is the main reason I skipped it. Thanks.


vintagestereo said:
Sorry, not interested in that one.

-- Chris
That surprises me. The STR-GX10ES is truly the last of the 'monster' receivers.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom