• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Soooo, When you are leveling a turntable, do you

antrat

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
level from the plinth or from the platter?

I got my first stylus weight gauge today (a shure) and decided to check the stylus weight and what do you know, the thing was set at over two grams when the specs for the signet tk10ml call for 1 - 1.5 gram.

I went to vinyl engine and got the setup instructions for for a Dennon DP52F and started the setup from scratch. Since I dont have one of those little round bubble levels, I went out to the machine shop and got a level that I use for machine setups. This level is accurate to .0005" over 10". (probably a little too accurate for using on TT but its all I have right now)

I put it on the plinth and leveled it out both ways, then layed it on the platter and its off. Leveled the platter and the plinth is off. Since the only relation we are looking for that matters (so I am thinking, could be wrong) is the stylus to the groove, I left it re-leveled at the platter.

Comments?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Level to the platter with mat if suspended, without if not. The weight of a heavy mat will affect a suspended TT, a lighter mat like felt not much. You could use a perfectly flat record as the reference surface with the mat in place.
 
I kind of thought leveling the platter was the way to go, thanks guys.

Man, I dont think I will ever get used to dropping an unprotected stylus into a groove on a metal bar. I did it once and cringed terribly. Second time and from there on I folded the shield down and centered it up best I could.
 
Just set the stylus down GENTLY, and avoid bumping it thereafter, and there should be no problem. Careful, patient effort with unhurried movements is always a good approach around a turntable, anyway. Heart-wrenching accidents happen when we get careless and move too quickly.
 
I'll second Frank. The stylus' I have done in were done in under the influence. Live & learn.
 
I dont drink much, especially when spinning albums, thats what cd's are for. I just have the shakes naturally and I'm always going too fast. I'm going to tape a sign to the rack that says "slow down dumb ass".
 
Never leveled one. I just play em.

Always meant to purchase a level. Just never did.

Maybe someday I will 'level' it. Sounds like a good idea really, it sure makes sense.

I dont drink much, especially when spinning albums, thats what cd's are for. I just have the shakes naturally and I'm always going too fast. I'm going to tape a sign to the rack that says "slow down dumb ass".

Ya got that right! That's how I busted a really nice 1980 Ortofon FE low hour cart. Drinkin. CDs are for drinkin, but...whenever I drink I just want to spin LPs. Ugh. It's a habit I'm trying to break, before I break the new NOS 1980 Ortofon TT Cart...Again, which I would dread cause it's really a fine cart, better than the one before. Or ruin LPs, like my Rolling Stones Black and Blue Japanese pressed LP in mint condition. Played it a couple days later and it was badly scratched. >> I don't even remember scratching it. << So I just tossed it in the garbage. Drinking and playing records is a very bad idea, at least, for me.

That's a really 'good idea' Antrat: a 'big' posted sign that says: "slow down dumb ass - Play the CD Player!" :>)
 
Last edited:
I dont drink much, especially when spinning albums, thats what cd's are for. I just have the shakes naturally and I'm always going too fast. I'm going to tape a sign to the rack that says "slow down dumb ass".

Perhaps a couple of drinks will slow you down...
 
With suspended decks you should level the plinth first, then the platter. If the plinth is level but the platter shows a variation you should adjust the suspension until that, too, is level.
 
With suspended decks you should level the plinth first, then the platter. If the plinth is level but the platter shows a variation you should adjust the suspension until that, too, is level.

With an adjustable suspension like the better H-K 'T' series, Thorens, and the like, absolutely.
 
Last edited:
Some may disagree but I feel the turntable being level is the foundation for everything else to follow, ie balancing the tonearm etc. Also along with the table being level it is critical that the table is on a solid/sturdy base (table/shelf/stand).
 
.....I've also seen an influence either way on my anti-skate function when not level. I primarily focus in the end on getting the platter level ---seems to work
 
With unsuspended TTs,I like to put a record weight over the spindle then place my bubble level atop the record weight.Hopefully then,the bearing is perfectly perpendicular.
 
Want to check the platter is level, but don't own an accurate bubble level? A tip: a while back, I figured out how to determine the platter was level with a tatty cheap one.

I have a small, light, plasticy level which I got from Poundland (!); I place it on the platter, and rotate the platter in steps. At each step, I make sure that the bubble remains in the same place. Any movement in any direction is used to determine where any slanting is occurring; rotating the platter 180 degrees at the first sign of movement helps even further.

Using this method, the quality of the level doesn't matter; it's just a case of making sure the bubble doesn't move. Once this is achieved, you are in business...
 
Back
Top Bottom