• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Sorry guys I had to do it but it was totally worth it

Carbsandcaps

Super Member
Let me start off by first saying that I have hearing damage and tinnitus in my right ear from a fractured skull and years of working in auto shops so this may not pertain to you be high treble really bothers me and lately it has been really bothering me.

I have tried many things to tame the horn tweeters in my kg4’s however the what made the most difference was installing L pads. For $15 each on Amazon I figured it was worth a shot and man did they pay off. Took about 10 minutes each to wire in, I have them set to about 50% and man what a difference. The highs are still high but not bothersome like they used to be. I hear no difference in sound quality like distortion or lack of depth, just lower highs. Just an idea if anyone struggling with the same issues as me.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2236.jpeg
    IMG_2236.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 68
Register to hide this ad
Might offend the purists, but everyone's here doing what they feel they need to do to enjoy the music. Installing a pair of L-Pads to get there is pretty minor for this forum.

Glad you found a solution to get to your happy-music-place.
Enjoy!
 
L pads have been used for decades on speakers for this exact purpose, to tailor the mids/highs to each persons liking... everyone hears different, likes different things & most of all has different systems/rooms.

L pads have been used as a mod on klipsch speakers just as long, despite how good they are numerous people complain about over bearing, unbalanced or "harsh" mid/tweeters in many klipsch speakers, usually lascala or khorns. Mods like reduced decibel taps on autoformers, high ESR capacitors or L pads are all ways to tame the mids/highs if one prefers that.
 
I have hearing damage and tinnitus in my right ear from a fractured skull and years of working in auto shops so this may not pertain to you be high treble really bothers me and lately it has been really bothering me.....
Just an idea if anyone struggling with the same issues as me.

Beyond just standard age related hearing loss, over the past year I've suffered what my Neuro-otologist terms as profound hearing loss. I can barely hear in my left ear, and of what I can hear it cuts off around 4000hz. Right ear volume level is closer to normal, but that cuts off at around 6000hz.

As this relates to your question, just about any sharp or harsh sounds seem magnified in how they affect me. It's like fingernails on the blackboard. So I can fully understand how cutting down the volume level of high frequency output could make music more enjoyable to you. Glad you found a solution that works !


Might offend the purists, but everyone's here doing what they feel they need to do to enjoy the music. Installing a pair of L-Pads to get there is pretty minor for this forum.

Glad you found a solution to get to your happy-music-place.
Enjoy!
Agreed... nice that he found a solution that works.

As an aside I'm not sure why folks would care what so called "purists" think, or worry about offending them. They're not Gods.
 
Let me start off by first saying that I have hearing damage and tinnitus in my right ear from a fractured skull and years of working in auto shops so this may not pertain to you be high treble really bothers me and lately it has been really bothering me.

I have tried many things to tame the horn tweeters in my kg4’s however the what made the most difference was installing L pads. For $15 each on Amazon I figured it was worth a shot and man did they pay off. Took about 10 minutes each to wire in, I have them set to about 50% and man what a difference. The highs are still high but not bothersome like they used to be. I hear no difference in sound quality like distortion or lack of depth, just lower highs. Just an idea if anyone struggling with the same issues as me.
Should have been there factory.
 
Back
Top Bottom