• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SOTA Pyxi has arrived

34dean

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
After reading a few extremely positive reviews on the ultra affordable Pyxi phono preamp from SOTA, I decided to pull the trigger and ordered one on Friday evening. Today, Monday, the unit arrive safely to me, packaged up nicely. It was very easy to set up using the included instructions/manual. A couple of easy clicks up and down on the settings on the bottom of the unit, and I was ready to go!
I connected my Basis 2000 turntable to the unit and the unit out to the AUX 2 input on my MA4100 receiver. I started with Donald Fagen‘s “The Nightfly“, a very well produced and pressed album. A wonderful full sound, detail, and airy presentation quickly came through my ADS 910’s. I especially noticed the mid range and low end sounding better than I have ever heard by system sound. I realize, this could be a “placebo effect“ of me getting a cool new piece of gear, so… A few hours of listening tonight will be necessary!
After Fagan, I put on Dire Straits “Love over Gold“ and the album has never sounded better. Tremendous!

I will continue to report back and let the unit break in for 10 or 20 hours before really summing up my thoughts, but so far, so great!
 

Attachments

  • 0335D9F2-295D-4E05-9732-73523F016E8C.jpeg
    0335D9F2-295D-4E05-9732-73523F016E8C.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 365
  • 18912F12-FFDA-41A0-ABF2-9D06D6626B4D.jpeg
    18912F12-FFDA-41A0-ABF2-9D06D6626B4D.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 373
  • 4F0A956D-739F-4C78-9E9F-90F009F77366.jpeg
    4F0A956D-739F-4C78-9E9F-90F009F77366.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 379
  • 5BF69D2B-3E67-4146-ADEB-1A4C9C1AD266.jpeg
    5BF69D2B-3E67-4146-ADEB-1A4C9C1AD266.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 374
Register to hide this ad
Now if "they" can't get the answer about an internal phono stage right...how much credence are you going to put into the answer about the 4100 being the best choice for you to run the KEF speakers?

"They"? KEF speakers? Huh???

Shall mean: What does your reply have to do with the original topic of this thread?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini


edit: typo extermintation *sigh*
 
Last edited:
I'm interested in hearing your comments on the Pyxi, in whichever thread. Wondering how much more performance my 45yr old DD has left in it. Wearing a 2M Bronze, into a Zen Phono, it sounds pretty good. But, if the Pyxi is better, I'm not strictly averse to moving up a step or two.
 
After reading a few extremely positive reviews on the ultra affordable Pyxi phono preamp from SOTA, I decided to pull the trigger and ordered one on Friday evening. Today, Monday, the unit arrive safely to me, packaged up nicely. It was very easy to set up using the included instructions/manual. A couple of easy clicks up and down on the settings on the bottom of the unit, and I was ready to go!
I connected my Basis 2000 turntable to the unit and the unit out to the AUX 2 input on my MA4100 receiver. I started with Donald Fagen‘s “The Nightfly“, a very well produced and pressed album. A wonderful full sound, detail, and airy presentation quickly came through my ADS 910’s. I especially noticed the mid range and low end sounding better than I have ever heard by system sound. I realize, this could be a “placebo effect“ of me getting a cool new piece of gear, so… A few hours of listening tonight will be necessary!
After Fagan, I put on Dire Straits “Love over Gold“ and the album has never sounded better. Tremendous!

I will continue to report back and let the unit break in for 10 or 20 hours before really summing up my thoughts, but so far, so great!

Good job! What resistor and capacitor settings are you using? Any gain setting controls?

Thanks!
 
Back
Top Bottom