• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Sota Pyxi with my Yamaha GT-2000

BilboBaggins

Addicted Member
I have found that a little change can have vast consequences. My little change occurred when I found a very nice Kenwood KD-550 back in September 2019 while on a weekend visit to Montreal. The lady I bought it from was selling off her deceased husbands turntable, and had agreed to hold onto it for me. At the same time, she gave me the choice of her husbands Jazz records, including a copy of Astrud Gilberto - The Shadow Of Your Smile.

That started the chain of events that led to this story. I really liked that Kenwood KD-550. As I got to know it, I started getting curious what would getting a new tonearm do for me? I liked the idea of being able to adjust on the fly the VTA. So I started investigating arms, and just missed out on a nice deal on a Technics EPA-100 tonearm. Then I started looking seriously and saw that the arm I had looked at would have been a major score if I wanted VTA on the fly. So someone suggested I might want to look at other tables that feature VTA on the fly. As I was investigating them, I came across a review of the giant and tremendous Yamaha GT-2000. I was hooked! I sold my treasured TEAC Z-7000. Then I sold my Thorens TD-160. Then I sold my Kenwood KD-3055. Finally, I sold my Kenwood KD-550 and ordered a GT-2000L from HIFIDO in Japan. In less than a week, it was here!

After keeping my GT2000 in a safe place along with my McIntosh gear during the renovations, I set up the system up again in late December 2022. I enjoyed the turntable a lot, but I was just in the process of dialing in the new Kef 107s into this system, and it required I change things around a little from the Cornwall setup. I had to move the Kefs along the long wall. They didn't sound at all right along the short wall as I had setup the Cornwalls. I also needed to change power amps. The Cornwalls had been fed by a MC-2205, but the Kefs like more instant power that the MC-2205 could provide, so I brought the Bose 1801 into the mix and moved the MC-2205 down into the critical listening system only to discover it is failing on power up. :( However the Bose and Kef 107s are very happy together. I wanted more. I saw the Sota Pyxi and decided for the money, I would try it out.

After ordering the Pyxi, I started trying out different records on the Yamaha turntable. I was using a record that had been US cleaned, but had some bad scratches on the other side. I hadn't noticed it when I played the other side, and so I flipped the record, and listened, and promptly lost my stylus for the Empire 2000. :yikes: I have a good collection of cartridges, and it seems I have lost the styli on all my exceptional cartridges. And I have lost my styli contact. He isn't responding to emails. I have been using an AT cartridge that isn't bad, but by no means one of my better ones. So a couple of weeks ago, I decided to order a Denon DL-103 from HIFIDO. It was actually cheaper than buying just the stylus for my Shure V15 type 4 cartridge. At the same time, I ordered a Grace HS-3 headshell and an entre ES-10 headshell.Today, I received the Denon cartridge, and will be trying it out with the Sota! I'm really looking forward to it.

Any recommendations on which of the headshells I should try?

This thread is going to be about my journey with the Sota Pyxi and my GT-2000L. I will be adding more styli to my collection of cartridges over time, if I can find a Canadian source. I will throw in a teaser. I am using my LeeStereo optimized McIntosh C26 preamp, and it holds its own against the Sota Pyxi. I was hoping for that, because Ben did a really nice job on the C26. It is very reassuring to hear it though. I will be treading completely new territory with the DL-103.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7357.jpg
    IMG_7357.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7358.jpg
    IMG_7358.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 39
Register to hide this ad
Nice little story. You say your Mac pre holds its own against the Pyxi....What is it the Pixy does better?

Athanasios
Well, for one thing, the Pyxi does MC whereas the Mc only does MM. LeeStereo really did a nice job on this preamp when he did a full restore and optimization.

However this is also an opportunity for me to assess how good my system really is. I don't trust the ears of friends for that. Either their ears need training, or they will say something appropriate like "impressive"! Buying the Pyxi lets me know to a certain extent just how good this system really is. Not that I am going to change much anymore at this point.

Aside from that, I need to spend some time with it to find out. These are kind of crazy times right now and I have a lot keeping me busy. I'm very much looking forward to doing a proper assessment. It will be a slow process. I've made a lot of changes that are going to impact everything about the system. I went from Cornwalls driven by an MC-2205 poweramp to Kef 107 speakers driven by a fully restored Bose 1801. It even has speaker protection!
 
Pick the heavy headshell, maybe even add a little weight, with my basic 103 with elliptical, I’ll run total headshell/cartridge weight at 18-26g depending on the arm….

VR
Andy
 
I just set up the cartridge this evening. I went with entre ES-10 at 13.5 grams which brings my total up to 22 grams for the headshell and Denon DL-103. It is sounding very good! I now need to spend some time listening, and possibly playing around with the adjustments. I'm loving what I'm hearing! :music:
 
If I set up the Pyxi properly, I have it set for 470R and 367P on each channel. At the moment, I am finding it a little bright as I listen to Dorothy Moore - Misty Blue. It could just be my brain tonight, so I will wait until tomorrow before doing any adjustments.
 
If I set up the Pyxi properly, I have it set for 470R and 367P on each channel. At the moment, I am finding it a little bright as I listen to Dorothy Moore - Misty Blue. It could just be my brain tonight, so I will wait until tomorrow before doing any adjustments.

Capacitance shouldn't bother MC carts, so I would play with the R loading.

Athanasios
 
Very interesting. Those headshells are not out in the stratosphere! I will keep my eyes open for a good deal. I am going to start putting a higher focus on my cartridges/styli, and headshells going forward.

Of prime importance, is that I review and US clean all of my record collection. I got started, but that has stalled at present. Other priorities are interfering. My goal there is to remove any records that could destroy my new styli. I'm being very cautious right now due to the experiences I have had. Using mostly new records, plus mint records that I have cleaned and know are good. Fortunately, I am the only one who is comfortable using these systems. :)
 
Very interesting. Those headshells are not out in the stratosphere! I will keep my eyes open for a good deal. I am going to start putting a higher focus on my cartridges/styli, and headshells going forward.

Of prime importance, is that I review and US clean all of my record collection. I got started, but that has stalled at present. Other priorities are interfering. My goal there is to remove any records that could destroy my new styli. I'm being very cautious right now due to the experiences I have had. Using mostly new records, plus mint records that I have cleaned and know are good. Fortunately, I am the only one who is comfortable using these systems. :)
One thing I noticed with Yamamoto headshells, that they are heavy. I couldn't use the blackwood one on my Sony, without going to a heavier counterbalance.
 
The GT can handle heavy headshell/cart combos - I have the Yamamoto holding an Ortofon Windfeld (13g) and the counterweight still has some room to move back.
Yes, with 22g with my headshell and cartridge, I have room to move back. I was playing with back down and back up last night. Don't know which I prefer. In some songs I preferred back up, and others I preferred back down. I might just leave it level.
 
If I set up the Pyxi properly, I have it set for 470R and 367P on each channel. At the moment, I am finding it a little bright as I listen to Dorothy Moore - Misty Blue. It could just be my brain tonight, so I will wait until tomorrow before doing any adjustments.
I'd go with c. 220 ohms. The cap, as was written, shouldn't matter.
The Pyxi has extremely accurate RIAA. Many phono stages do not have such a response, and in particular many exhibit a bump in the low end, which adds warmth.
I've heard the Pyxi versus a couple of Mac tube phono stages. I don't know the models. In comparison the Pyxi was less warm, but more "detailed" with a less pronounced but deeper and better controlled bass and superior (and more realistic) attack.
 
Done! Thanks Wyn!

I'm listening to the 1983 soundtrack to Gabriela ATM. Still too early to say anything. And, to add to the variables, the DL-103 is a new cartridge. Not sure how much breaking-in time it needs.
 
Done! Thanks Wyn!

I'm listening to the 1983 soundtrack to Gabriela ATM. Still too early to say anything. And, to add to the variables, the DL-103 is a new cartridge. Not sure how much breaking-in time it needs.
The DL-103 is an "R" cartridge? Mine sounded fine from the start. No break-in needed.

:)
 
Back
Top Bottom