• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Soundcraftsmen MA5002 just sent Emotiva XPA-2 packing

tomlinmgt

Lunatic Member
I had heard my MA5002 (total refurb with mods) do some things better than my Emotiva XPA-2 on my Magnepan MMGs, but not everything. The Emotiva was more detailed and clear but at the expense of warmth and musicality, which the SC has in spades. I just acquired a set of Infinity QLS-1's and they are a difficult load with the Watkins woofers. I expected the Emotiva, which has more rated power and is known for its prodigious current output, to better the SC on the demanding QLS-1's.

It didn't. And it wasn't even close.

The SC made the Emotiva sound thin and lifeless. Yeah, there was a slight improvement in detail with the Emotiva but aside from that it sounded lethargic and weak. The Soundcraftsmen made the big Infinities sing with the sort of authority and dynamics that gets your juices flowin'. The Emotiva was, quite honestly, boring. A simply amazing amplifier for the money, that MA5002.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Good to hear. I just picked up a MA5002 to use with my newly acquired Quantum 2's. :thmbsp:

I highly recommend a full recap and replacement of all the output transistors. I went with higher value PS caps as well. Well worth the money and peace of mind.
 
Damn, that's sweet! I've always heard that the MA5002 was an excellent amp. The upward trend in market prices must mean that the secret is out!
 
I highly recommend a full recap and replacement of all the output transistors. I went with higher value PS caps as well. Well worth the money and peace of mind.

What parts did you use in yours? I used MJ21194G and Sprague Powerlytic filters. 40000uF on the LV rail, 18000 on the HV. :D
 
What parts did you use in yours? I used MJ21194G and Sprague Powerlytic filters. 40000uF on the LV rail, 18000 on the HV. :D

I sent my tech the links you provided me, Jailtime, and told him "this is what I'd like to do"....so I'd guess the same parts you used are in mine. I swapped him out my powder coating services for his labor so it was extremely reasonable to have this done. Whatever I have in there, it has made the amp clearly superior to everything I've put up against it including the Emotiva, PL 700B, modded and refurbed Hafler 500, Kenwood M2 Sigma, and a pair of Roksan Caspians.

I'm amazed at how much more is pulled out of the recording and given life by the Soundcraftsmen. The Emotiva presents pretty much everything in the music, but it's just kinda stale and flat. Comparing the Soundcraftsmen reminds me of when you were a kid and you looked through one of those viewfinders that had the round disc with the film images around the circumference of the disc and it made the picture 3-dimensional and colors vibrant when you held it up to the light.

It's funny, when I was spending time over on the Planar Asylum forum talkin about my Maggies any time I mentioned the 5002 the response was always "oh, well you should try a ConradKrelPasLabsParasoundBryston". I don't doubt for a second all those are magnificent sounding amps, but the tone was generally pretty dismissive for the SC and since I'd never heard any of the high-end and stupid expensive stuff I kind of believed one of those would make the SC sound like old, antiquated technology. But I actually just heard a flagship model Krell on some $22,000 Sonus Farber Amatis and $12,000 JM Labs Alcors last week and though it did indeed sound good, I was not sitting there thinking I need to give serious consideration to making a bigger financial commitment wrt my amplification. I think most would be very surprised at what the old Soundcraftsmen can do.
 
Last edited:
Some guys are rather snooty about amps over at the Planar Asylum while others take the same amps "frowned upon", enjoy them, and pocket the extra dough.
 
Cut it out guys; I've had sellers remorse ever since I sold my 5002 this winter and this isn't making it any easier. Paired up with my quantum 3's was an especially great sounding set up.
 
I used to work for a Hi-Fi store that was a Soundcraftsmen dealer.

We also sold Nakamichi, Tandberg, McIntosh, Yamaha, etc. I can't count the number of times that customers walked up to the Soundcraftsmen rack, were disappointed by the utilitarian look of Soundcraftsmen, but blown away by the sound. That did more to generate new Soundcraftsmen customers.

People just seemed to like them (a lot) after trying them.
 
What parts did you use in yours? I used MJ21194G and Sprague Powerlytic filters. 40000uF on the LV rail, 18000 on the HV. :D

tomlinmgt's amp was redone with hfe matched MJ21196Gs. The main caps were 39000uf 50v and 18000uf 75v parts from Digikey. The 39000uf 50v caps were a bit short so I had to put something under them to lift them. But the 4 caps were under $55 total, pretax and shipping. So I highly recommend them from a budgetary perspective.
 
tomlinmgt's amp was redone with hfe matched MJ21196Gs. The main caps were 39000uf 50v and 18000uf 75v parts from Digikey. The 39000uf 50v caps were a bit short so I had to put something under them to lift them. But the 4 caps were under $55 total, pretax and shipping. So I highly recommend them from a budgetary perspective.

There ya go, straight from the horses mouth. Thanks Jon.

And thanks for the job well done on the amp.

Ready for the other one? :D
 
those viewfinders that had the round disc with the film images around the circumference of the disc and it made the picture 3-dimensional and colors vibrant when you held it up to the light.

The ViewMaster! I somehow remember those, shouldn't really be old enough. My grandma had one with a load of the discs. Yosemite Park was the best one. :D

tomlinmgt's amp was redone with hfe matched MJ21196Gs. The main caps were 39000uf 50v and 18000uf 75v parts from Digikey. The 39000uf 50v caps were a bit short so I had to put something under them to lift them. But the 4 caps were under $55 total, pretax and shipping. So I highly recommend them from a budgetary perspective.

I had to shim my filters to fit as well. Mine cost 4 times as much though. I almost cried when I saw the total cost for those Powerlytics.
 
Damn, that's sweet! I've always heard that the MA5002 was an excellent amp. The upward trend in market prices must mean that the secret is out!

I think the secret has been out for a while now. SC MA5002's command a pretty good price and have for a while. The sound quality is right up there with the SAE 2600 and almost as good as my Nikko 650.

Everyone I know who has sold theirs has regretted doing so. I kept hearing all the good things "people in the know" here were saying about the MA5002 so I took the plunge. I am so glad I did and get to enjoy it every day.
 
Gotta love kicking out the "better looking/more esoteric/better brand" with something......that well......SOUNDS BETTER!

CYA!!!

Anyways i didnt know anything about this brand other than seeing a soundcraftsman amp at an "ebay brick and mortar sell your stuff here store". I can honestly say that they make some of the most unattractive looking pieces of gear! When i heard $150....no thanks.

I always thought they were like a "yorx", "audiodesign", "junk bpc" brand. Now ive learned some of the stuff is "bargain krell" type stuff.

I may have to go check out hat amp again, get the model, and do some research. I can dig ugly gear that sounds great(and has plenty of power:yes:)!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion......but dude, seriously? Black plastic crap? There ain't much plastic on this one, hoss. The bulb covers, meter covers and plastic binding posts in the back are about all I can think of. Maybe some superficial stuff on the inside. That's about it. Ugly? Surely you don't speak of this model......surely.

picture.php
[/IMG]
 
I've got a 5002 waiting for a little love. I used to use it to run my band's subwoofers and it did just fine. I've never used it in a hi fidelity system, though; just a pro sound setup. I got pretty sick of schlepping it around. That sucker is heavy. :scratch2:
 
To make it clear, I have neither the Emotiva amp nor the Soundcraftsman, but admittedly the Soundcraftsman isn't stock, right? Not really even stock equivalent?
 
To make it clear, I have neither the Emotiva amp nor the Soundcraftsman, but admittedly the Soundcraftsman isn't stock, right? Not really even stock equivalent?

The Soundcraftsmen MA5002 even in stock form is a real sleeper. :thmbsp:
 
Perhaps, but that wasn't the comparison....was my point. Perhaps a "hot-rodded" XPA-2?

Like I said, no dog in this fight; merely an observation.
 
Perhaps, but that wasn't the comparison....was my point. Perhaps a "hot-rodded" XPA-2?

Like I said, no dog in this fight; merely an observation.

I spent a fair amount of time listening to the Soundcraftsmen before the mods and, no doubt, it sounded better after. Not Jeckyl and Hyde better, but a little more clarity and slightly improved dynamics. The difference between the (modded) MA5002 and Emotiva was so pronounced I wouldn't doubt for a second a recapped but stock spec'd 5002 would still come out the victor.
 
Back
Top Bottom