• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Soundcraftsmen MA5002 questions...

Marty DiBergi

New Member
I've been a long time observer, but this is my first post. I like to start off by saying this is a wonderful source of information here, helped me with many of my vintage buying decisions. One of them being my Soundcraftsmen MA5002. Picked it up several months ago and it looks and performs great! A couple of questions. First, what do the "Vari-portional" lights indicate? Are they a soft clipping indicator, similar to whats in NAD?...or something else. Second, taking in to consideration the age of this unit, is there anything i should replace or upgrade? I'm in Cleveland, and have asked a couple of repair shops to see if they could test it for me, to see if its working up to, or around spec., but none of the shops i asked work on Soundcraftsmen. Lastly, is there anywhere i can get an owners/service manual for this monster....thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi marty, I had a MA5002, and still have a MA5002A(dead on one channel) I should have the entire sevice manual on file. Give me your email, and I'll gladly send them to you, about 20 something pages I believe. :thmbsp:
 
Welcome to AK, hope you become a regular poster.
I would suggest leaving well enough alone. As had been said here often, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
The Soundcraftsmen are pretty rugged and reliable. Though designed for home audio, they were often used professionally.
I have four Soundcraftsmen amps, the MA5002A, PA5001, and a pair of PCR800s that I use bridged for two channels. Great sounding gear as far as I'm concerned, and I have some other amps here that are great, and the Soundcraftsmen are right in there, too.
BTW, I also have two Soundcraftsmen preamps, the DX4200 and DX4000. Very quiet, no sound of their own. Just the way they should be. They do an excellent job of letting the source play through to the speakers. Can't ask for anything more.
 
hi bully!

sent you a couple emails marty. Does anyone know anything about zipping files and emailing attachments?
 
I had AK member Echowars service my 5002. If ya ask him nicely he may scan some of the service manual for you. I would advise that you send it to him and let him work it over. You wont be disappointed !
 
I agree with grumpy that if you send it to EchoWars you'll be sure to have your baby checked thoroughly. Can't always say that for all tech guys.
 
Another :thmbsp: for sending it to EW! I have a MA5002 (thanks Grumpy), it was the one serviced by EW, and have had a MA5002A that currently resides with Bully. Like Bully said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". But if you feel like sending it out, EW is the man. BTW, my MA5002 spec'd at 325 WPC into 8 ohms...not bad for only being rated at 250 :yes: .

john
 
I am in Cleveland and can service it for you. PM me if interested. You can check my feedback, I do good work. Not trying to take any business away from EW, just doesn't make much sense to ship it when there's someone local who can take care of it.
 
Sorry I missed the being in cleveland part or for sure i would have referred you Doc.
 
Marty DiBergi said:
I've been a long time observer, but this is my first post. I like to start off by saying this is a wonderful source of information here, helped me with many of my vintage buying decisions. One of them being my Soundcraftsmen MA5002. Picked it up several months ago and it looks and performs great! A couple of questions. First, what do the "Vari-portional" lights indicate? Are they a soft clipping indicator, similar to whats in NAD?...or something else. Second, taking in to consideration the age of this unit, is there anything i should replace or upgrade? I'm in Cleveland, and have asked a couple of repair shops to see if they could test it for me, to see if its working up to, or around spec., but none of the shops i asked work on Soundcraftsmen. Lastly, is there anywhere i can get an owners/service manual for this monster....thanks
I bought my MA5002 in Cleveland, there was an Empirical Sound repair sticker on it, it worked for a few years and then I sent it to Soundcraftsman in Satna Ana, CA for rebuild at the factory, they charged $60 and brought it back up to snuff, it's still working 20+ years later and I love it!! The Vari lights indiacte when the main power supply kicks in, somewhere around 100 watts, hope that helps, Dave.
 
Last edited:
marty, you should have 1-20. Some might have went to two different addresses though. :scratch2:
 
Not trying to take any business away from EW,
Lol!! I should post a pic of the pile of gear that needs my attention.

Yes...it would be silly to send it here...Warren should take it by all means.
 
Back
Top Bottom