• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Soundesign TX-5164 AM-FM Stereo Receiver

I'm just impressed that the SM was published and made available. Beats a lot of high dollar gear in that respect.
Thank you))
I know how hard it is to find some rare components for circuits or other spare parts, so I always try to help people who need it.
 
This is the same amplifier, if you look at the service manual.
Mine was missing the two filter caps when I opened it so someone had obviously tried to repair it. If I remember it does power up. and not blow fuses. You are welcome to it if you want it for parts, etc.
 
When I got my Sansui G3000 at Frankenfest a few years ago, the only thing I didn't like about it was that in my mind it looked like "Sounddesign" LOL! So, somewhere back in my deep memory I must have seen these receivers on sale somewhere, maybe Kmart.

Now, because my recollection of the brand preceeds the introduction of the Sansui G-series, could Soundesign have had it first? :idea: This will be one of those things running through my brain when lying awake at 3 AM.

Funny thing, working at my first real job in electronics, our plant manager as it turned out came from Soundesign, who had some sort of facility in Lawrence, MA. He seemed to think they were a real audio company. Trying to remember back, perhaps they assembled console stereo's there? This would be maybe 1973/74 ???
 
Me too. I actually like the look of this Soundesign. The tuner wheel feels hefty and moves nice and smooth as well.

Funny, I remember my grandfather taking me to Kmart and helping me buy a "real" stereo. Something like this. :)
 
Me too. I actually like the look of this Soundesign. The tuner wheel feels hefty and moves nice and smooth as well.

Funny, I remember my grandfather taking me to Kmart and helping me buy a "real" stereo. Something like this. :)
I agree. Perhaps the components and circuit solutions used here are not the best, but the design, the aluminum front panel, the wooden case, it attracts. Yes, the radio frequency regulator inside the case has a large metal ring and it rotates very smoothly.

I have an integrated amplifier Sony TA-1150D, the case is made of tin, but the front panel is made of thick aluminum with aluminum regulators. It is very beautiful.
 
I bought a receiver at a flea market for almost nothing and was quite surprised, since you don't often come across such engineering solutions. The receiver was sold as non-working, for spare parts or repairs. When we met, the seller said that this receiver worked quite well for him, but after unsuccessfully connecting the speakers to it, something happened and it broke down. And))) here it became clear to me that everything was not so bad, perhaps the fuse broke, but first things first.
View attachment 3459002View attachment 3459006
It is interesting to disassemble, the screws are unscrewed from below and everything slides out of the wooden case, like in modern Chinese DACs, amplifiers. For some this is usual, but I encountered it for the first time. The device was opened, this was indicated by the turned square washers on the fastening screws and scratches from them on the wooden case, also the splines of one screw and its thread were torn off.
View attachment 3459007
The power button is not original, but I can find a similar one or from another device. All other buttons are in bad condition, but it's not scary, they will be painted.

View attachment 3459016
Integrated circuits. Circuits are normal and there are even new ones for sale with any internal circuit.
It is clear that the power board has darkened, most likely due to prolonged use and heating. I have not seen such conical diodes before. Capacitors - 2 cans of Marcon 6800uF 50wv. I read that these capacitors were made by Toshiba, then Chemi-con bought them. At first glance, all capacitors are not swollen, but I will check everything in the future.

View attachment 3459018
This receiver was not expensive, but today it is extremely rare. It is not available on the markets, there is no information or questions about it on the forums, there is no manual on the Internet, so I ordered an original service manual on EBay for $12, I am waiting for delivery.

View attachment 3459022
Jumpers from short wires were glued to the board and the glue ruined the board, but I hope it’s not critical.

View attachment 3459023
Since something happened at the seller's when connecting the speakers, I thought about the broken speaker fuses, but as it turned out, the power fuse was broken. I can't replace it yet and check the receiver's functionality, since the original fuse is 32 mm long, so to speak, not standard, I only have a modern one 20 mm long.
Suspicions of interference were confirmed. There is a scratch on the tone block board, one exposed well, and possibly soldering. When the schematic arrives, I will disassemble the tone block, see what's what. In other places, the soldering is factory. But in any case, I need to disassemble everything, look at and measure the components and wash it.
An interesting piece, but Sounddesign was not known for quality; in fact, just the opposite. I do wish you luck with your purchase. :)
 
There is also bad news(((
The transformer has a primary winding around the core, then two secondary windings on top for 19V and 39.5V. The entire transformer is covered with varnish and cannot be disassembled without damage.

The primary winding burned out at the previous owner, the winding terminals do not ring out, their resistance does not show, so the secondary winding does not work.

Also, 2 diodes in the diode bridge burned out, but this is not critical, but the transformer does not work…….‍‍((((
 
Back
Top Bottom