• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Source Code Confusion-help?

Ishmael

Super Member
I have what I have been told by members of AK is a co-axial Cinaudagraph speaker. See post: “Instant Blues Brother-But what is it?” But now I am trying to track down date of manufacture and here’s the problem I’ve encountered.

It is stamped “468828”. Searching the web I have found several postings that the “468” is the code for the Cinaudagraph Corporation with in some cases reference to “468” as the EIA source code for the Cinaudagraph Corporation, and/or, to the RMA standard code as the basis for identifying this speaker as made by the Cinaudagraph Corporation.

Online I have found the June-July 1946 “Radio Maintenance” pdf. wherein the new RMA standard code for companies is given covering 1946-47. The Cinaudagraph Corporation of Stamford Conn. is listed therein but its Code No. is 358 not the 468 that is inked on this speaker.

Also online I have found the pdf. “1994 EIA Source and Date Code”. Therein is the “Numerical List EIA Code Symbols” as of January 1, 1994, while there is a 466 (General Motors Hughes Electronics) and 469 (Actus Enterprises, Inc.)code, there is no 468 code symbol listed or listing of the Cinaudagraphy Corporation under that code symbol.

Is there some other resource I am missing to translate the meaning of the “468828” code stamped on this speaker? Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.
 
Register to hide this ad
David, thanks for additional places to search. I did a Google search and clicked images and there is no question that this speaker is a Cinaudagraph co-axial speaker as there were two pictures of identical speakers.

I also had a chuckle as for some reason in addition to a wealth of Cinaudagraph speakers the Google search also included occasional 50s/60s hot babe pin-up pictures. Perhaps the search engine was stretching parameters "Cin" to "Sin", who knows, it took me back to my dad's "Argosy" and "True" magazines and the age of budding hormones lol.

I think this is likely going to be a search that ends where it started, e.g., on faith I will accept that the 468 is the source code for the Cinaudagraph Corporation and that the following "8" is its year of production 1948.

Now the more interesting search begins for a similar co-axial Cinaudagraph speaker, they just don't show up on the bay. There are many 12" organ speakers for sale and one that even has the unique spiral edge to the woofer cone, but a co-axial seems a rarer bird (they wrapped the paper to create the cone and then glued the edged along the spiral edge). I would like to have a pair to listen to as I explore the world of mono recordings and have my eye on a similarly aged mono capable amplifier.

Thanks again for your help.
 
I have what I have been told by members of AK is a co-axial Cinaudagraph speaker. See post: “Instant Blues Brother-But what is it?” But now I am trying to track down date of manufacture and here’s the problem I’ve encountered.

It is stamped “468828”. Searching the web I have found several postings that the “468” is the code for the Cinaudagraph Corporation with in some cases reference to “468” as the EIA source code for the Cinaudagraph Corporation, and/or, to the RMA standard code as the basis for identifying this speaker as made by the Cinaudagraph Corporation.

Online I have found the June-July 1946 “Radio Maintenance” pdf. wherein the new RMA standard code for companies is given covering 1946-47. The Cinaudagraph Corporation of Stamford Conn. is listed therein but its Code No. is 358 not the 468 that is inked on this speaker.

Also online I have found the pdf. “1994 EIA Source and Date Code”. Therein is the “Numerical List EIA Code Symbols” as of January 1, 1994, while there is a 466 (General Motors Hughes Electronics) and 469 (Actus Enterprises, Inc.)code, there is no 468 code symbol listed or listing of the Cinaudagraphy Corporation under that code symbol.

Is there some other resource I am missing to translate the meaning of the “468828” code stamped on this speaker? Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.
468 is actually the EIA source code for Aireon, which was the corporate owner of Cinaudagraph from 1946 to 1952. This would have been manufactured the 28th week of 1948. The source code for Cinaudagraph from 1952 forward is 145.
 
Back
Top Bottom