• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Source for 10mm thrust bearing - TD160

Register to hide this ad
I've used 10mm/2mm PTFE disks from ebay to replace the nylatron thrust plate (search for "bespoke teflon"). I've sitted it on a 12mm stainless steel disk:

PJZqh3H.jpg


Ka6oLJ4.jpg
 
Updated original post to clarify, thanks for the questions. This is for a TD160 main platter. I've mostly seen Delrin used but people have suggested lots of other materials that could work. I don't have machining capabilities so hoping to find something I can drop in.
 
If you want to remove the stock nylatron thrust pad - the bushings need to come out. If not, you can just force the PTFE down the lower bushing through the upper one.

DiWQU6P.jpg
 
Delrin is great, thorlon is better, sapphire even more, diamond is best - there's no end to tough materials. PTFE is soft!!! The reason I used it is b/c it gets dimpled easily and forms a layer of thin teflon between the thrust plate and bearing. It makes the bearing tip constantly ice skate over the thinnest layer of teflon. Thickness matters. I've experimented with some widths, 2mm ended up best in my experience.
 
I am in the shop now. I made two first one was .003 too thin (thickness of a piece of newspaper) second one was only .001 under. Brown Delrin. Figured that was close enough. We close in a couple hours you better get down here before we go home for the day,
 
I am in the shop now. I made two first one was .003 too thin (thickness of a piece of newspaper) second one was only .001 under. Brown Delrin. Figured that was close enough. We close in a couple hours you better get down here before we go home for the day,

Perfect!! Thank you so much. I'll start walking :)
 
And @tnsilver, what is the knurled thing you used to build the bearing puller? Do you just work that into the bushing until it grips enough to pull it out?
 
It's awesome. Do you remember where you found the knurled part, or what it is? I don't think I've seen anything like that.
 
They make internal bearing pullers that have a cone on the far end that expands a collet into the bearing. Usuall used with a slide hammer but a sleeve topped by a washer would help extract it.
It it's a blind hole, machine a driver so it's a slip fit, pack the bearing full of grease and drive the driver in with sharp hammer blows. It will hydraulically force the bearings out. I even use this technique with Timkin needle bearings. They may be "leaky" but the surge in pressure will pop them right out.
I've been repairing machine tools all my life, know a few "tricks".

BillWojo
 
Back
Top Bottom