• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Source for Large Electrolytic Capacitors

Greyduck

New Member
I'm in the process of restoring a Pioneer SA-9500 amplifier and wish to replace all the electrolytic caps. Small ones appear to be readily available locally, but I'm having difficulty finding replacements for the 2 large 18,000 microfarads 63V ones. I live in Gig Harbor, WA, a suburb of Seattle. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
First off, Welcome to AK. Seeing it's your first post a search of the forums will give some good results on replacement sources.
An introduction in the Introductions Forum would be good. Alot people here are very giving of their information/knowledge usually after they get to know you. No attack on you was intended with this just go with the flow and you'll fit right in.

Regards
John Mik
 
First off, Welcome to AK. Seeing it's your first post a search of the forums will give some good results on replacement sources.
An introduction in the Introductions Forum would be good. Alot people here are very giving of their information/knowledge usually after they get to know you. No attack on you was intended with this just go with the flow and you'll fit right in.

Regards
John Mik

Thanks for the quick response John, I'll be sure to follow your advice.

Cheers,
Chuck Wagoner
 
Welcome to AK Duck
What physical limitations do you have? What physical size is the original caps?
Are they screw terminals or solder lugs?
Digikey-Mouser-Newark have just about anything you may need.:thmbsp:
 
There are a few recommended replacement cap types, but they don't cover the big caps as a group. The big caps you will have to search the posts for clues. A lot of problems can be avoided by sticking to the recommendations - as Pioneer's old specs where it calls for low noise or low leakage caps will be covered b y these high quality industrial caps. Also you will probably end up paying less overall.

The caps are Nichicon upw or uhe (mouser.com) or Panasonic Fm or Fc (digikey.com).

this is from a recent post, which is mouser.com's Nichicon upw caps that I commonly use for replacements:
Unfortunately not that I know, plus IF you find a 3900 list that has 140- mouser part numbers , THAT is for xicon caps and is highly NOT-recommended!!!

in mouser, on the search line, looking for a 47uf 50v cap, typing :

47uf 50v UPW and hitting enter will give some selection boxes cuz it was confused, select the 47uf and the 50v and check the stocked box and hit apply filters.

that will give you 647-UPW1H470MED at $0.25 each.

omitting the 50v part (type in only 47uf upw) would get you a range of voltages.... so you shouldn't get stuck, say if they were out of 50v caps... then go for a higher voltage......

There is no 80v there is 50, 63, 100.

wish i had time right now to do a list, and unfortunately the BOM is cryptic, so you need to find all the 1uf + caps on the gwr-122 power supply board from the schematic.

Post the list if you wish and I'll look it over at oh dark hundred or so...


edit: I grabbed a list of the caps I commonly keep around

stock number microfarads volts cost

647-UPW1H010MDD 1 50 $0.12
647-UPW2A1R5MDD 1.5 100 $0.15
647-UPW1H2R2MDD 2.2 50 $0.12
647-UPW2A2R2MDD 2.2 100 $0.14
647-UPW1H3R3MDD 3.3 50 $0.12
647-UPW1H4R7MDD 4.7 50 $0.12
647-UPW1J6R8MDD 6.8 63 $0.15
647-UPW1H100MDD1TD 10 50 $0.12
647-UPW2A100MED 10 100 $0.25
647-UPW1H220MDD 22 50 $0.19
647-UPW1H330MED 33 50 $0.24
647-UPW1V470MED1TD 47 35 $0.10
647-UPW1H470MED 47 50 $0.22
647-UPW1J470MPD 47 63 $0.28
647-UPW2A470MPD 47 100 $0.36
647-UPW1A101MDD 100 10 $0.14
647-UPW1H101MPD 100 50 $0.22
647-UPW1J101MPD1TD 100 63 $0.18
647-UPW2A101MHD 100 100 $0.53
647-UPW1A221MED 220 10 $0.18
647-UPW1V221MPD 220 35 $0.22
647-UPW2A221MHD 220 100 $0.80
647-UPW1A331MPD 330 10 $0.20
647-UPW1E331MPD6 330 25 $0.28
647-UPW1E471MPD 470 25 $0.47
647-UPW1J471MHD 470 63 $0.52
647-UPW2A471MHD 470 100 $1.15

this list MIGHT entirely cover the 3800's power supply... good luck
(prices may be slightly ($0.02) low, I buy in quantity for the discounts......)
 
Last edited:
Now for the big caps:

I haven't opened the 9500 I have waiting in line for work, that's later this week or the weekend, so how do the big caps get their electrical connections?

Screw terminals, solder? wire wrap?

PLUS, dimensions become paramount!!

I have good results on eBay, usually from JEA capacitors.... good place.... it is a brick and mortar industrial supplier with an ebay presence.

I searched on 18000uf and got a lot of store listings...

edit:
Ok, looking in the manual, they are wire wrap terminals and hard mounted by a collar. We NEED to know the OD and height of the originals. It's tight quarters, and too tall or too thick would be a problem.
 
Last edited:
I'm not yet done with my cap list, but if your original measures 40mm X 80mm, my quick search shows Panasonic # ECET1JA183FA which is 40mm X 63mm, 326pcs avail with Digikey.

Edit:
Sorry. I realized, I got you a part with dummy pins. Don't know how to install that one. I'll keep looking and advise, as I will be needing it also.
 
Last edited:
OTOH: Since the 2 extra pins are just dummies I think we or I will use it. I can't find 2 pins of this value with regular disti's. I found UCC EKMH630VST183MA80T also with dummy pins, EKMH630VSN183MA80T (no extra pins), smaller at 35mm dia and no stock. :sigh:

Check also MTF's recommendation of JEA caps. Welcome to AK and goodluck!
 
Thanks so much guys for the welcomes and very informative responses! It will probably be awhile before I get to the refurbishing, but I’ll post how it goes as I get on with it.

And jojo0416 and markthefixer, the diameter of my 18,000 caps are 2.00” (50.8 mm). I’ll check for availability of 2” diameter replacements and let you know if I find any.
 
Last edited:
JEA has these in stock: 65V 18,000 UF, 2" Dia. X 3 1/8 High, Screw Type for $26.50 ea. These should fit but I'm not too keen about having to adapt to a screw interface.

Digi-Key has a couple of Panasonic snap-ins that appear to be a direct drop in, priced about the same as JEA, but they have an 80V rating.

See: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll.

Should a higher voltage rating make any difference?
 
Higher voltage makes no difference at all.

If anything they'll be able to handle the load on them better if they are overrated for voltage. Meaning they wont run as hot, which is a good thing.
 
If your original caps are 40mm dia, that's what you'll have to stick with. You cannot fit a 50mm cap, such as the one from JEA (which I can't find), into the amp.

Your only choices are a snap-in cap, or a smaller 15,000µf 63V Nichicon lug-terminal cap from Michael Percy Audio. This is if the diameter is truly 40mm.

A snap-in can be used fairly easily if you crimp & solder a small uninsulated ring terminal to the snap-in leads to give you something to solder to.

Seems I rebuilt a 9500 a few years ago, and I don't remember having to use a snap-in cap...thought I used a screw-terminal, but that's only possible if the diameter is 50mm. Screw-terminal caps are always easier to deal with, since all you have to do is add ring terminals to the connecting wires. But...no one makes a screw-terminal 40mm cap, unless it is a custom build from the manufacturer.

If you need a 40mm cap, the Panasonic T-UP 18,000µf 63V would be the best bet. Digikey #P10028-ND.
 
And jojo0416 and markthefixer, the diameter of my 18,000 caps are 2.00” (50.8 mm). I’ll check for availability of 2” diameter replacements and let you know if I find any.

If the diameter is 50mm and the suggested T-UP series ( Digikey #P10028-ND) by EW is the best to use, then you can use panasonic part # ECEP1KP183HA which is 80V, @ 22.56 ea 34 pcs available at Digikey.

Here's the data sheet.

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/components/pdf/PIC_T-UP_SERIES_DNE.pdf
 
Oh crap! Did someone edit their post? Where did I see 40mm diameter? :scratch2:

If the caps are 50mm, then this is the one you want (don't fool with any snap-in nonsense): http://www.newark.com/united-chemi-con/36da183f075bb2n/aluminum-electrolytic-capacitor/dp/06H1271

When you mentioned using ring terminals, it became obvious that this is an excellent way to go. It would appear that when leads are removed and attached to ring terminals, the leads will be very close to their original length - a sterling solution! I will be ordering the UUCs from Newark, thank you very much.
 
Back
Top Bottom