• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Space age stereo gear - now we're talking!!

Register to hide this ad
That is very cool! The bright side is, other than the dust cover something like that would be fairly easy to DIY. Maybe use a Denon or JVC direct drive unit for the table itself.
 
Very groovy, but the asking price seems a bit optimistic without the equally cool spherical speakers. And no, I'm not selling mine.

attachment.php


Dave
 

Attachments

  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 232
I've seen some stuff like that before, it is way cool but I don't know how good it actually performs.
 
I've seen some stuff like that before, it is way cool but I don't know how good it actually performs.
Me thinks you may be missing the point of owning pieces like this. No, its sound quality doesn't match what could be purchased for the same price. Nor does my '56 Fisher Custom Futura, '63 Fisher Custom Electra, '58, '61 and '63 Motorola's, '61 Grundig, Clairtone G2, etc. And even though my '59 Magnavox may have been Magnificent in its day, it certainly won't hold a candle to my main system. Yes, I enjoy listening to all of them. Are any of them my main system? Of course not. But some things such as design and historical significance transcend sound quality. I also have a collection of Lava Lamps. Do I use them to illuminate a room?

Dave
 
Last edited:
Me thinks you may be missing the point of owning pieces like this. No, its sound quality doesn't match what could be purchased for the same price. Nor does my '56 Fisher Custom Futura, '63 Fisher Custom Electra, '58, '61 and '63 Motorola's, '61 Grundig, Clairtone G2, etc. And even though my '59 Magnavox may have been Magnificent in its day, it certainly won't hold a candle to my main system. Yes, I enjoy listening to all of them. Are any of them my main system? Of course not. But some things such as design and historical significance transcend sound quality. I also have a collection of Lava Lamps. Do I use them to illuminate a room?

Dave

+1:thmbsp: Exactly.
 
I had a set of those speakers. prob close to 25 years ago. IIRC I blew 'em up with my Dynaco SCA-80 (which in turn blew up one channel of the Dynaco)

so you're welcome for making your set that much more rare ;) (were already beat, no stands on 'em either so don't feel too bad)
 
A decorator shop here had one of these (with speakers) a while ago. Their asking price was completely ridiculous - closer to $4000 than to $400. It sat there a long time, but eventually it did sell, presumably to someone so rich that (s)he just bought what (s)he liked, and didn't care about mundane things like "market value". I don't believe it would ever have fetched that kind of price in an audio store. It seems non-audio aspects like the "coolness" factor, appearance, nostalgia, and the perception of "collectibility" play a big role in the value of these things.

Hey, who wouldn't want the Jetson's audio system? :D
 
The pedestal 'Circa Series' was produced by Electrohome of Canada from the late 60's through to the mid 70's. Some of the series were larger Scandinavian design inspired cabinet stereos that sounded quite nice. The smaller aluminum pedestal units can in a wide range of colours and styles. They were introduced to compete with Clairtone's Project G series (http://www.clairtone.ca/projectg) and because they were cheaper and quicker to produce they sold far better making it an affordable piece of vintage electronic gear today.

DC
 
Back
Top Bottom