• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker driver ID please

royboy

Member
Hello all. this is my first posting and hope you vintage buffs can help me out. This old bass driver was installed in a non original box and has nothing to identify it except a # 3734C on a screwed down nameplate and a # 3144 punched into the back. There is a patent with a # I can't make out. I was planning to Ebay it, but don't have a clue as to what to call it. My Ebay name is royonoco.
Thanks in advance for any info....Roy
 
Register to hide this ad
That is totally cool! What kind of shape is the cone in? How much youwant for it? The driver by itself would make a great conversaton piece .
 
Welcome aboard

Hey Roy

Glad you found the place ok. Lots of great folk hang out here with a vast amount of knowledge...and some just hang out here...

To everone else, I met Roy the other day to pick up that old corner Wharfedale the Wedweb posted about.

Thor, that driver isn't much different than an anvil, or a boat anchor, if everything was that well built it would be perfect for your parties, you could open beer cans on it:D
 
Holy CRAP! That thing is a BEAST.

One question though, where is the 'spider'?

Cool speaker!

Cheers,
Russ
 
The center of the cone is the spider. Probably phenolic or flexible metal with a post going to the center of the motor. Some of the surrounds on those old speakers were even made of leather, although most were paper.
 
Speaker ID

Hi again . Thanks for all the comments so far. I actually spoke to the old dude I bought it from again this evening. He said it came out of something he called a HMV Radiogram from about 1927, but that does not confirm the maker. It weighs about 15 pounds.
Is it okay to ask about values or take offers on this forum? Or can I leave a heads up here when I do list it on Ebay this weekend?
Thanks again ....Roy
 
speaker cone pic

Hre is a picture of the cone for you who were talking about construction. The surround is a velvety fabric.
 
The speaker in a Majestic model 50 from the early 30's has an identical looking silver cone and spider. I can't remember if the mounting is the same.
 
For all you youngsters, this type of field coil speaker was common in the early radios. Most of the ones I serviced had a "spiral" 3-legged spider in the center of the voice coil and suede leather surrounds. The field coil was connected into the power supply as a "choke". The 45 tube was popular, with some 47 tubes here and there. Push-pull outputs were there, but rare.

My parents had a Northern Electric 1937 model that used PP 6V6s and a 10 inch full range speaker in a bass-reflex enclosure. It was an all-band radio and with a long wire outside antenna my Dad set up it would pull in broadcasts from all over the world. My brother "loaned" it to his mother-in-law and one day it went dead. She called in the local service man and he told her the power transformer was shot, and kindly took it off her hands. ^%$# and even now I have a Hammond tranny in the junk box that would have restored it.

Rob
 
sale items

Roy

there is a section in the marketplace area for "items for sale /wanted" you can post for sale items there.

Using AK solely to sell stuff is kinda frowned upon, but if you're looking for info and offering great stuff like this item there is no problem posting your for sale stuff. As the forums are moderated, if you really piss anyone off it will be mentioned. If an item is posted in the wrong area, the moderator may move it.

Does this "old guy" have any more interesting stuff for sale?

Ken
 
Hey Ken. Thanks for putting me onto this forum, it is cool. I noticed the buy sell section after posting last time, and may try it.
I think I cleaned the old dude out yesterday, he gave me an old Goodmans Module Ninety receiver that may or may not work. It has all DIN connections so it will be tough to test.
Thank you all for the input on this speaker. I will be looking for some info on an old Sound Sales driver I have as well.
Thanks again...Roy
 
Back
Top Bottom