• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker Guru's - What's Your Take On These Peerless DIY's?

MAXZ28

Addicted Member
This orphan DIY cabinet followed me home today. Apparently it's sibling was bought Saturday as the GW folks only put one speaker out at a time...:screwy:

Sounds wonderful solo, but I still wish I could have had an audition as a set.

I'm wondering what info you speaker guru's might have on these Peerless drivers. :scratch2:

031909458.jpg


031909453.jpg


031909454.jpg


031909455.jpg


031909457.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Well, the tweeter is not so hot from what I can tell so unless there is something I'm missing you may benefit from a better high end driver.
 
Yeah....I'd hafta agree with zenith2134 about replacing the tweeter with something better.
Throw in an L-pad too, so you can match the new tweeter's sound level with the rest of the drivers.

Steve
 
Thanks for the advice, gentlemen. I went back to the store today and would you believe the sibling DIY cabinet was sitting there in the aisle?!?

Well, the skeptic that I am, forced me to check to see if the lady at the register was right about it being sold earlier this weekend. I hooked it up to a awia bookshelf system and it does produce sound so it's not an empty cabinet but I'll have to make sure that the Peerless drivers weren't swapped and then returned when I have a chance to open the cabinet up.

The cabinets and grillwork are extremely well built and if nothing else, these would make very good candidates for econo-wave cabinets with fresh veneer if I ever catch up on my project list. :rolleyes:

Now if I could only remember that thread with the link to the new aluminum spun-style legs....anyone? :scratch2:
 
The woofer (a 12 incher?-not easy to tell from the pictures)is not easy to pinpoint exactly,since the surround is not visible.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=30473

The mid is a G50MRC(I love these early numbers since they tell a lot about the driver-G stands for magnet size,50 stands for 5,0in,MR stands for midrange,C stands for closed back-could it be easier?):
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=195796

The xover filter is a Peerless.It is probably some version of the 20-3 three way filter.
 
Thank you for the info, Rolf.

I'll eventually pull the drivers to make the cabinets easier to handle when reveneering them. Once I get that accomplished, heck, maybe even tonight, I'll post some pictures of the fronts.
 
So that was your CL ad I saw this morning...

I was in that store yesterday morning (when it opened), and both speakers were there, one in the middle of the store, next to some really awful looking Fisher (I think) speakers, and the other in the aisle by the electronics crap.

The one by the crap was what I saw first, and thought about it, and then thought the other might be found elsewhere, so I looked until I saw it.

They were pretty inexpensive, and those cabinets are nice, but I didn't know what was inside. Could have been Wolverines, could have been cheap-ass car subs from Wallymart. Either way, I figure I've got pretty good speakers at home and left them for somebody else; turned out to be you, eh?

Did you get over to the store on Robert Street to see the Yamaha speakers some cretin painted with what looked like truck bed paint?:tears:
 
Turned out to be you, eh?

Yeah, I stop in there on occasion to check out the LP section. I usually don't find too much decent stuff there, but every once in a while something worthy comes along.

Did you get over to the store on Robert Street to see the Yamaha speakers some cretin painted with what looked like truck bed paint?:tears:

I DID! Yeah, they looked pretty lame with the speckled paint and the overspray on the drivers.
 
Did you get the other speaker open to see what's inside? Do the parts match with the first one?

By the way, I went to both those stores after reading about your Marantz quad amp in the Best GW finds thread. I know lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place, but figured I had nothing to lose!
 
I have seen two Peerless speaker pairs here (and bought one of them), which did NOT appear to be DIY at all. I suspect some furniture-grade speaker-building company did a deal to manufacture early Peerless speakers or something. I have never seen the like online, but both of these were clearly from the same source. I bought the smaller pair and missed out on the slightly larger pair that I saw.

I would rank these on a par with the better AR, Advent, KLH, DA, etc... vintage speakers, and better than some of them. VERY sweet, listenable, nice soundstage, etc... In fact, I listened to them more out of curiosity than any intention to buy, but within two minutes knew that I had to have them. The only complaint I'd have would be that you may want to add a subwoofer to fill in the deeper end. I find the highs on this to be excellent, in the sense that they are clean and sweet, although of course they are more rolled off than, say, EMITS or AMTs. Overall, though, very listenable.

Perhaps the best thing is that these have one of the nicest woodgrains of any speakers I've ever owned, really luxurious-looking stuff that makes ordinary walnut look extremely boring and dull, and that nice "vintage decorator" look to the molded-edge grills, which gives them much higher WAF than most speakers. These could be put in any room except ultra-modern, and look really good. Utterly different appearance from your DIY boxes, but perhaps the drivers are similar(?). The label on my woofers, at least, resembled yours; I don't remember the tweeters well enough to say.

Oh, I did need to clean the variable tone controls and replace/upgrade the crossover capacitors.
 
Last edited:
Arkay,

These had a real homebrew look to them. The cabinetry is beautiful, but these had no controls on the back. Indeed, they had no connections on the back, but just the wire coming out of a hole.

I get the feeling they were made by a talented cabinet or furniture maker, who had the sense to buy good "innards" for the speakers he built.
 
Did you get the other speaker open to see what's inside? Do the parts match with the first one?

Yeah, I figured what the heck. I haven't hooked them up as a pair yet but I did open the second cabinet and it has the same drivers.

By the way, I went to both those stores after reading about your Marantz quad amp in the Best GW finds thread. I know lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place, but figured I had nothing to lose!

Sometimes it does. I was hoping a matching tuner for the 4140 would pop up but it never did. :tears: Oh well.
 
Back
Top Bottom