• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

speaker ID?

Hayes

Active Member
Hello people. I got these funky speakers at a collectible store a while back. I've tried to find some info on them but have come up empty. They have Blaupunkt components, metal mesh grills and the cabs are cheap particle board. The sound is not too bad... a little on the high side. Anyone have any idea? They have no model numbers.
 

Attachments

  • DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 151
Register to hide this ad
Hello people. I got these funky speakers at a collectible store a while back. I've tried to find some info on them but have come up empty. They have Blaupunkt components, metal mesh grills and the cabs are cheap particle board. The sound is not too bad... a little on the high side. Anyone have any idea? They have no model numbers.

Blaupunkt use to make quality components, don't know if they still do. Yours being vintage I would assume is good Blaupunkt drivers. As for the rest of the speaker, sorry I can't be of much help there.
 
Yeah, I feel the quality is pretty good. I'm guessing from the looks of them they are probably 60s/early 70s. Just a feeling. When I searched the web about them only thing I came up with was that they used these speakers or something similar in Volkswagons. Right now I have them playing with some EPI's which does make for an interesting mix.
 
Blaupunkt is still around, send them an e-mail (headquarters), and see if they answer. Send it in English and German. Use Google Translator.
 
Thanks for the comments. I may try the email to Blaupunkt, as a last resort probably. And Jlord, the magnets are fairly large in relation to the speaker size(4.5" I think) but not that weighty in the big scheme of things. If I can't find out if they are valuable as an entity,I might project them out down the road... perhaps car speakers if needed.
 
So the lower woofers are only 4.5"? Sorry if I dont follow you here, they look as large as the magnets on my subwoofer.
 
Is there any reason to believe they're not entirely Blaupunkt?

The metal mesh grills are in the spirit of what they were making in the mid/late 70's.

They were also described as "funky" in the OP, another Blaupunkt characteristic.:D
 
A Google Image search for Blaupunkt Suprakustik yielded some cached pics from a German auction for "Original 60ties Siemens & Halske RL-15 Speaker"

Looks like what you have.
 

Attachments

  • Blau1.jpg
    Blau1.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Blau2.jpg
    Blau2.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Blau3.jpg
    Blau3.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Blau4.jpg
    Blau4.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 22
Chances are that these are a very efficient speaker with a low wattage rating, probably in the 20 watt range. They were most likely designed for use with tube equipment and I'd bet that they are a bit bass heavy with a warm smooth sound.
 
they look like the ones pictured by Hayes :yes: i would keep them and hook them to some good tube gear :music:

AB
 
Bowtie, I have no reason to believe they are not all Blaupunkt. But I would not describe them as overly bassy but warm. They are definitely funky. And Jeffery you have pegged them. I can't see the tweets on the ones you have provided but by all accounts they match up. Mine had vinyl wood grain when I acquired them but it was in such bad shape that I spray painted them black. No tube equipment here so I can't pursue that thread. Good deal, now I can search further into this mystery.
 
There's no pics showing any more of the drivers, but those red dabs of paint on the screws probably mean your tweets are there from the get go.
 
Bowtie, I have no reason to believe they are not all Blaupunkt. But I would not describe them as overly bassy but warm. They are definitely funky. And Jeffery you have pegged them. I can't see the tweets on the ones you have provided but by all accounts they match up. Mine had vinyl wood grain when I acquired them but it was in such bad shape that I spray painted them black. No tube equipment here so I can't pursue that thread. Good deal, now I can search further into this mystery.

Well, now you have an excuse to get a tube amp...:banana:
 
Thanks especially to Jeffery and Bowtie for providing pertinent info. I found out nothing further except some history on the Siemens AG/Halske juggernaut. And PRaudio... I'll be looking for that elusive tube amp at the right price. I may get out the Sherwood 7100A and try them with that. It's the closet thing I have to the tube sound. thanks again.
 
Back
Top Bottom