• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker recommendations?

john5220

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm looking to upgrade my speaker setup, and want to stay in the $500 range. I currently have Klipsch kg4's powered by a Marantz 2330B. My main listening source is vinyl with some CD usage thrown in. I'm partial to the Dahlquist DQ10 but haven't been able to pull the trigger. Maybe JBL's?

Any other suggestions on which way to head?

TIA
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm looking to upgrade my speaker setup, and want to stay in the $500 range. I currently have Klipsch kg4's powered by a Marantz 2330B. My main listening source is vinyl with some CD usage thrown in. I'm partial to the Dahlquist DQ10 but haven't been able to pull the trigger. Maybe JBL's?

Any other suggestions on which way to head?

TIA

If you describe the types of music you like (mostly) and the qualities of a speaker that are important to you like: bass, imaging/detail, etc that will help others suggest various speakers they've had experience with.

I've never heard any Klipsch speakers so it's hard for me to qualify the sound of the KG4.

I recently got some JBL L5 which I think are in your price range and would trounce the KG4 but that's just my anecdotal opinion. Most of the older JBLs I think will be outside of that price range... maybe the L80t or L100t.

DCM makes some good speakers that go under the radar, something like some Time Windows might be a different change of pace.

Some Yamaha NS-690 or 670s would also be great speakers in this range.

I've never heard the DQ10s but people have a difficult time selling them around the $400 price point in my area.
 
Someone on here has some Infinite Slope speakers and I would love to hear them. They look well made.
 
I have 4.2's with Crites diaphragms, which were a nice upgrade, but I got a bigger boost from setting my beloved Pioneer SX-1250 aside and bringing in a 100W MOSFET amp by Sumo. Much more detail in those speakers than I was getting out of them. Not to diss the Marantz, but you might think about amplification as you go along the upgrade path. It was not that expensive either.

And if you haven't done the Crites diaphragms, that's the best $75 you could spend.
 
I'm looking to upgrade my speaker setup, and want to stay in the $500 range. I currently have Klipsch kg4's powered by a Marantz 2330B. My main listening source is vinyl with some CD usage thrown in. I'm partial to the Dahlquist DQ10 but haven't been able to pull the trigger. Maybe JBL's?

Any other suggestions on which way to head?

TIA
The Dahlquist DQ10s would need more power than the Marantz can deliver. Klipsch Forte or Chorus speakers would be an upgrade from the KG4s.
 
Well I have the KG4 (stock no upgrades... yet), KG 5.5 (stock), HPM 100’s, ads L-1590 and 1090. Of those I believe ads do everything very well... however, I have SS and tube. I have an HH Scott LK-72 and it sounds unreal on both Klipsch.. upgrade from there??? Maybe Cornwall’s, Forte, Chorus??? But that would kick you out of the ball park of $500. The ads L1090 is an amazing speaker under the radar.. sorta. Underrated maybe. Balanced and amazing, but do not come up often. So... ads 810’s. Have a buddy that has a pair. Wow... wow. Some would say they lack bass but I like tight bass and not floppy bass or boomy. If you want more boomy bass maybe HPM 60. Oh, have those too. But the 60’s are not an upgrade from KG4. Listen, I have no complaints about the KG4’s. Not great at bass but I use a powered sub and fills the crossover point.

Man, I don’t think I have helped you!! Hahaha.

If you are patient, and looking for a steal, and want an ultimate upgrade IMO... look for ads L-1290. Man, they are wonderful and sometimes... I mean, maybe if you are lucky, you can grab some for 500.

Ads for me is the best all around speaker for everything from SS to tube, rock to jazz, and everything in between.

Again, just my opinion here based on what I have heard.

If you ever had the feeling of going tube, DO NOT get rid of those KG4’s. They are magic on them and I haven’t even done the mod’s yet.

Good luck man!!


Oh, by the way... the ads L-1590 are absolute crushers of detail, imagery, and projection. For me they top my list of owned speakers. Simply stunning sound. They will work with low watt but really need that big watt SS to open up and blow your mind. And they do, omg... do they ever.

I waited 6 years to find a pair and got them for $800 about a year ago. Perfect condition. So ya, if you are patient deals are out there.

a/d/s is my vote.
 
Last edited:
If you are going tube... I personally like the tube integrated. Better for noob to tube like me.

HH Scott 299 or LK-72. Great, and I mean amazing on the KG4. Then, they also have a center channel called a derived channel. It is signal only channel so I have mine to a powered sub. Man, I am in heaven.

So, maybe keep the KG’s and go tube. You will not be disappointed.
 
I picked up a fully restored Scott LK-72 from an Ak’r Here on Barter Town for $800.

Best purchase I ever made. Ever.
 
Back
Top Bottom