• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speaker Wire

my older brother and I both had 1970 Opel GT's in the mid 70's, he still had 2 when he passed this December, great little cars.

we raced side by side one night on a rather curvy rd at speeds of 105mph, my superior tires and worn clutch made it an even race until one particular turn. His rear end slid out a bit to the right and he was mine the rest of the way BWAAA HA HA HA, I miss my older bro.

Buzz posted this pic of one to FB just a few weeks before the cancer took him.
View attachment 2128289

Cool you had the Opals in common.

My neighbor has 2 of them - rotting in the snow in his yard.
I told him I'd help him sell them - someone would want them, as parts cars if for no other reason.
But, he imagines fixing them up. Thats likely not gonna happen.
What a waste. Fun in their day & still a cool look today.
 
Thank you Akustic, I tried last night and could not hear anything. I believe I'm good! Just trying to figure out these used but new speakers for me (Vandersteen 3's). Really digging them. But a different sound from what I'm used to. Now just need to figure out placement. Thank you for your advise!
 
I loved those things. Mine was yellow. I replaced the big round turn indicator lights in the front with "bow wow" small headlight housings and installed Cibie halogen pencil beam driving lights and did "friday nighter" rallies. I connected them, via a relay, to my high beams switch. I had standard halogens in the main lights. One of the other rally guys said that at one time when I was coming at him it looked like "A 747 coming in for a landing". :) Lebre wheels, of course. :)

BTW, I owned it for years before I finally rode in the passenger seat one day. I did not know the drive shaft was not in the center. There is definitely less room for the passenger than for the driver. I also put a rear axle on from an Opel Kadet that came standard with the rear anti-sway bar. It was standard on European GT's. I just popped out the nylon plugs over the bolt holes in the frame and bolted the anti-sway bar to the frame - instant European suspension.

It's also the reason I bought my Scion FR-S. It is, for me, a throwback to the Opel, except it handles a LOT better and kicks out a heck of a lot more HP from the same 2000 cc's. I've put 190,000 miles and nine sets of tires on that thing. :)
View attachment 2128329
I so miss rear wheel drive fun in the snow...
 
Well, stop driving like a maniac! :D

these Stangs eat front tires, check the internet.

I've tried everything. The tires wear on the inside tread, even installed camber bolts to try that, helped a bit. With the camber now adjusted to dead center, toe to dead center I'm getting 18,000, up from 12,000. Rear tires I get 30,000, so not my driving, though it is a factor with the rear not getting 50,000 lol.

Really bugs me to throw away a tire that looks brand new except for the first inside tread, especially when they cost $300 each. That's a lot of nice speaker wire down the drain.

See how I nudged that back on track lol?
 
Last edited:
Since we've drifted OT, I too had admired those "mini-Vettes". My wife's first BF had one but she traded his GT for me ... and my '74, 2 door, 4-on-the-floor, Manta. Could it have been the back seat? :naughty: Appropriately, as I was always into electronics, the Manta was copper colored, and the Opal emblem looked like lightning.
 
I so miss rear wheel drive fun in the snow...
Heh. I drive the FWD Scion xB in the snow. That FR-S has summer tires on it. It's like driving on wooden tires when it's cold. Michelin Sport 4S's. It's like a slot car.
 
Thank you Akustic, I tried last night and could not hear anything. I believe I'm good! Just trying to figure out these used but new speakers for me (Vandersteen 3's). Really digging them. But a different sound from what I'm used to. Now just need to figure out placement. Thank you for your advise!
Hi Steve,

I own the Vandersteen 3a Signature’s feel free to PM me if you have any questions about them . You can also head over to our Official Vandersteen owners thread and ask questions etc.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-official-vandersteen-owners-thread.906070/

Audiofreak71
 
Thank you Akustic, I tried last night and could not hear anything. I believe I'm good! Just trying to figure out these used but new speakers for me (Vandersteen 3's). Really digging them. But a different sound from what I'm used to. Now just need to figure out placement. Thank you for your advise!

Enjoy those Vandersteens .. they're classics, and they will only sound better every time you make an improvement in the electronics that are driving them ..
 
Back
Top Bottom