• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Speakers for classic rock, vinyl, moderate volume, tight space, etc.

In an effort to spread the addiction, I've introduced my daughter to vinyl. To be fair, she introduced me to vinyl in a way. She's been playing guitar, piano, drums, etc. and I thought it necessary for her to hear vinyl. Did it matter that I grew up in that 70s show and yet had never bought an album myself, nah. So, a few months ago, I bought my first album. She's loving vinyl and it's only getting worse!

So here's where I'm at. I actually have to put together three setups, but only one with higher (to me) end equipment. I want to upgrade my speakers and receiver, to listen to vinyl, radio, and CD. I've had Tinnitus since the 80s, before they knew that football helmets don't work ; ) And although my hearing remains above average, that ear will ache if it's exposed to too much noise. So, I listen to music at a moderate level. 30W receivers would be plenty at this point, though I still crank it once in a while. But I need a speaker that can produce full sound and lower volume levels. I'm fine with new or vintage for any and all of this.

I've been experimenting with a Yamaha R-300, seeing if the adjustable loudness can bring me the bass I like, without the volume. But my Kenwood tower speaker system with subwoofer is from the 80s. The issue with that room isn't the size, it's 400sqf, but it's a multipurpose room and the stereo is at one end of a pool table. So floor speakers need to be on stands, or possible wall mount speakers. I'd prefer to forgo the subwoofer, but it's not critical. I've received recommendations like Boston Acoustic A-100s and the Polk Monitor 10. The A-100 are shallower in dimension and less likely to take a cue through the grill! Perhaps those on a stand make sense. Tower speakers look great in that room and if those with a subwoofer are the ticket, I can easily make it work.

Someone also recommended the Pioneer A-88X receiver/amp

thoughts?

_DSC8035.JPG
Little Ohm Acoustics Model L...
They pack a big punch with the 8-inch woofer
 
I don't know if this is your search area but this looks like an interesting setup (no affiliation).

https://reading.craigslist.org/ele/d/reading-advent-heritage-tower-speakers/6833408272.html

The Heritages are my favorite Advent though the woofers might need to be refoamed (the 8" Advent woofer is one of the easiest woofers to refoam).

That being said, the biggest issue with a floor mounted speakers is getting tall enough ones so they are "buried" behind your pool table. Yes, you could put them on stands but that is probably going to negatively effect the bass response.

On another note, Polks can be amazing speakers but the silver domed SL-2000 drives my tinnitus nuts. If they're not the early models with the peerless tweeter, you might have to upgrade the tweeters with the drop in RD0-194/RD0-198
(depending on model) replacements.
 
Boy there are some great vintage receivers from the 70’s I would consider especially if they have been well cared for. Top of my list would be the Harman Kardon twin powered receivers. The 430 or 730 are great and will drive 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers beautifully. My other choice would be a Yamaha CR series 620 or 820. I bought a CR1020 back in ‘76 and passed it on to my brother which I now regret. I have a couple of systems I use in my office and in my garage using a HK 630 with Original small advents while the other system in the garage is a Yamaha Cr 620 running a pair of Boston Acoustics HD7s. They both put out great sound especially the HK630 and the advents. Just seems that combo is a perfect match.
I agree. My HK 630 and the advent speakers are perfection. Works great for many types of music.
 
This is one of those threads that could go on for a long time and end up in a cat fight! Lol! East/West coast Big/Small and so on. What ever works for you is whats best...
 
If ya dont mind a floor speaker that sounds good an carries that bottom end at low volume an will crank when ya want,check out Dcm KX- 12's. I have 2 pair of them great for all kinds of music,even better with a good egualizer.
 
This is one of those threads that could go on for a long time and end up in a cat fight! Lol! East/West coast Big/Small and so on. What ever works for you is whats best...
yup, we can beat this topic to death and the OP who hasn't been on AK since April will never see the info. Wonder what he got? Wonder if his other hobbies took over during the warmer months and maybe he'll drop in with the colder weather? Wonder if he wants to drop by and give a few different speakers a listen? It would give be a chance to hear some of the ones I haven't played in a while.
 
Back
Top Bottom