• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speakers for high-frequency hearing loss

While I am relatively young and fortunate to be able to still hear well (for the time being), which means I am speaking speculatively at best here, I have to vehemently disagree with this assertion. Why on Earth would I choose to deny myself hearing sonically-relevant information just because my own frequency sensitivity has aged (or been damaged or whatever)? This doesn't make much sense and even seems quasi-masochistic.

While your audiophile goals may be different than mine, the job of my stereo is to provide me with musical enjoyment, and for most of us that means to reproduce the music as it sounds. However, if my aural perception is such that I need a little assistance, and I can reasonably compensate for that using the myriad of controls available on many sound systems, why would I ever choose not do so? For purity sake? Really? And miss some of the music?

I'm a musician and when the days come that I can't hear the important stuff anymore, I am probably going to be willing to do whatever I can to correct that or compensate for it in some way. And to ignore that my stereo might help me out in that regard is just silly.

+1
I'm in this camp too.
 
You can try to get better hearing aids as time passes but if your hearing detiorates sufficiently, your audiologist will be worried only about speech intelligibility. At that point you just have to enjoy what you hear. I am getting close to that point and sometimes just wonder what I am missing when I listen to music. Long ago I stopped listening to my "equipment."
 
You can try to get better hearing aids as time passes but if your hearing detiorates sufficiently, your audiologist will be worried only about speech intelligibility. At that point you just have to enjoy what you hear. I am getting close to that point and sometimes just wonder what I am missing when I listen to music. Long ago I stopped listening to my "equipment."

My VA audiologist spends quite a bit of my appointment time to tune my hearing aid programs for speech, music, noisy environments and outdoors.

For an essentially free service, he does a great, caring job. I'm sure that those who pay the high dollar for quality hearing aids can get the same care if they ask for it...I shudder to think of the profit in these hearing aids:sigh:
 
My VA audiologist spends quite a bit of my appointment time to tune my hearing aid programs for speech, music, noisy environments and outdoors.

For an essentially free service, he does a great, caring job. I'm sure that those who pay the high dollar for quality hearing aids can get the same care if they ask for it...I shudder to think of the profit in these hearing aids:sigh:

My audi' did did a pretty good job too. As I was new to them when first fitted with a single I wasn't sure what to expect other than better intelligibility, better music would have been a bonus and to a certain extent was. Having binaural assist is much better but while they do restore some of the upper-range they do have problems even in the "music" mode which is my only other option, the standard setting for my profile is pretty good for the public places and home use otherwise when I may need the noise cancelling and other processing.
 
Back
Top Bottom