• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speakers for my SX-727

scrtchypants

New Member
I'm looking for some floor standing speakers for my old Pioneer SX-727. I don't have a ton of cash to spend but right now Monitor Audio Bronze 6 are on sale for $1000 CDN and are at the top of my list. However, they have a minimum power rating of 50W and my little Pioneer is shy of that at 37. I have a few choices: look for different speakers, downgrade to Bronze 5's, or add an amp. I'd rather not let the power rating of my current receiver determine a long-term decision, but I also like the sound of my receiver and have concerns that a power amp might affect that. What's the wise move?
 
Register to hide this ad
I'd go with a period correct speaker such as KLH Model 6's, Large Advent's, AR3's etc. Plenty of them out there especially the 6's or Large Advents. You should be able to pick up either with restoration work already completed for way less than the 1K you mentioned. I've got a 727 and my 6's are pure butter with it.
 
I have an SX-626, so a little different, but close.

Vintage matches. KLH 5, AR2ax, Large Advents, Dynaco A-25, Dynaco A-35, EPI 100, EPI 150

All way under your budget.

How big is your room, and how loud do you like it?

AR3 and AR3a may need more juice than the 727 has to offer.

New, you have tons of choices. I'm enjoying my ELACs.
 
My room is basically half the first floor of my house, about 400+ square feet. I have a set of Coral BX-1101's, but they're tired and most of the drivers have physical damage. I'm looking at modern. My musical tastes are varied: Wynton Marsalis, Cake, AC/DC, Johnny Cash. I like to hear the tap of a ride symbol as well as feel a thump of base to the chest. I can have it all, right? For under a grand?
 
Those should be fun...

They are 4 ohm speakers, so be judicious with your volume knob and watch out for clipping if you're trying to feel the bass;)
 
What finish did you get?

If they don't come alive for you it will likely be the 727. Those are rated at 89Db so at some point you may want to increase your amp power. If the 727 has preamp out jumpers (I can't recall if it does), you can always add a new amp.
 
What finish did you get?

If they don't come alive for you it will likely be the 727. Those are rated at 89Db so at some point you may want to increase your amp power. If the 727 has preamp out jumpers (I can't recall if it does), you can always add a new amp.

Walnut.

I've been making myself nuts poring over specs - sensitivity, frequency range, power requirements. I heard the Warfedales and like the way they sound. Current speakers are Coral BX-1101's which were purchased at the same time as the 727 back in 1972. I wish I knew their efficiency, but this receiver pushes them well enough that anything over 4 on the volume dial is uncomfortably loud. Additionally, I didn't want what is a significant purchase for me to be determined by a piece of equipment that is worth less than a 1/4 of what the speakers cost. It has pre-out/amp-in jacks, so I could add an amp, but I'd more likely just shop around for a higher powered, vintage receiver instead.
 
I have a Pioneer 737, and it was the first good receiver I owned. I second the Dynaco 25's, also Dynaco Phase III series 80, Epicure 200B, ADS 710, 810, 980, JBL 4312, 4313B, L-150. Since you have a large room, and a 1000 budget, you may consider upgrading to a Pioneer 939, I think this series is the best sounding of the Pioneers. With some luck and a little looking, I think you could find one AND a very nice pair or large floor speakers for 1000 or under. This would open your options to more speakers as well.
 
Walnut.

I've been making myself nuts poring over specs - sensitivity, frequency range, power requirements. I heard the Warfedales and like the way they sound. Current speakers are Coral BX-1101's which were purchased at the same time as the 727 back in 1972. I wish I knew their efficiency, but this receiver pushes them well enough that anything over 4 on the volume dial is uncomfortably loud. Additionally, I didn't want what is a significant purchase for me to be determined by a piece of equipment that is worth less than a 1/4 of what the speakers cost. It has pre-out/amp-in jacks, so I could add an amp, but I'd more likely just shop around for a higher powered, vintage receiver instead.

Good looking speakers. Specs can make you crazy. Frequency response to give you a general idea of what to expect in terms of bass limitations and then efficiency for matching to the gear and room are the two I really only refer to when looking at speakers.

Just be careful as underpowering speakers at high volumes is what kills them. That receiver is 47 years old at this point so it may not take the stress well either. Or, may be great. What might be fun is to borrow an amp from a friend or something and give it a try, just to see.
 
Good looking speakers. Specs can make you crazy. Frequency response to give you a general idea of what to expect in terms of bass limitations and then efficiency for matching to the gear and room are the two I really only refer to when looking at speakers.

Just be careful as underpowering speakers at high volumes is what kills them. That receiver is 47 years old at this point so it may not take the stress well either. Or, may be great. What might be fun is to borrow an amp from a friend or something and give it a try, just to see.

My local electronics repair guy just finished replacing a few bulbs. He tested all caps, cleaned the pots and said it was tip top. I won't push it, but as I mentioned previously I've never had to with the current Corals.

It's been difficult finding technical information about the Corals. I think I read something about Coral making speakers for Sansui at some point. Perhaps there's a model that shares specs.

ETA: Say I determine an amp is required - would you have any suggestions?
 
Last edited:
I still have my SX-626, and had an SX-828, so I've bracketed your model. I certainly enjoyed both.

I did run my AR-3a with them, but was careful with the volume. They were a better match with the KLH-5 and AR-2a.

A 4-ohm speaker rating doesn't mean 4-ohms at all frequencies. The AR-3a and some Infinity speakers I own are a tougher speaker to drive, so no receivers for them.

I'm not familiar with the speakers you purchased, other than they look like they should be pretty decent.

Any power amp that doubles down on its power rating (say 100 wpc @ 8 ohms, and 200 wpc @ 4 ohms) should be sufficient.
 
Erring on the side of caution, I picked up a Rotel RB-1510 off of Audiomart. Rated 130W @ 4 ohm's. And all of a sudden, I need a stand/rack. Looks like I'll be whipping up a flexy in the next couple of weekends.
 
Got the speakers yesterday - still waiting on the amp. I hooked them up to the 727 out of curiosity. I really like them, mind you after 50-year-old, slightly damaged Corals, anything would sound cleaner. Apparently, The Smiths Handsome Devil is a little on the punchy side as the receiver's lights dimmed with every bass drum hit. The vintage receiver always had a unique smell about it, but it was now giving off a particularly fragrant scent. I immediately turned it down (it wasn't really cranked to begin with) and am now happily waiting for my amp to arrive.
 
Back
Top Bottom