• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speakers for vinyl setup

escaslo

Member
i want some speakers for a vinyl set up. Here are my options CV D3s, Pioneer FS52s, Rega Camber 1.5s, Realistic MC2001. Also they will be paired up with a Marantz 2235. Any thoughts or opinions will be great. Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi, those options are kinda all over the place, I just looked them over. Lets go over this, where do you live and what's your budget. From there we can steer you towards something suitable.
 
this is kinda like asking for a soup recipe..
you might like carrot but hate cucumber, love cumin but hate garlic. there is no answer to your question...
the end result of a hi-fi system is combination of your resource, amplification and speakers, which all can vary and so will the result.. just because i like a result doesn't mean you will, and you ll have difficulty finding people who actually had that same combination and their opinion and taste is same as yours..

just go for commonly approved models, try more of them if you can ... till you decide what combo pleases you the best.

cheers
 
The first question is what kind of music do you listen to? For example many like CV's for rock and roll, but not as much for classical and jazz. A second consideration is the sensitivity and the relatively low wattage of your receiver (35 wpc). If you like LOUD, again the CV might be your best choice.

I would point out that the Pioneer and Camber are likely the most accurate speakers, but obviously don't sound the same. You might might like one over the other or you might like the Realistic over all of the others. I actually have no experience with any of the speakers except the Realistic which I would say is best for acoustic type music and am going by reputation on the others which goes to other suggestion which is to listen to all of them for extended periods........if possible, that being the problem.:idea:
 
like Putterman explained, if you can narrow down your expectations a bit, there might be suggestions for types of speakers that may suit that type of music, some designs suit Rock music better, some suit R&B better, some for Jazz etc.. due to dominant frequencies in and type of drum sounds in these types of music but IMO there is no such thing as vinyl speaker, or CD player speaker,
Marantz 22xx series will run any speakers with 6-8 ohms, and reasonable sensitivity like a champ at sensible volume levels.
 
Hi, those options are kinda all over the place, I just looked them over. Lets go over this, where do you live and what's your budget. From there we can steer you towards something suitable.

I live in Winnipeg (winterpeg) Canada. There are some options out there but not many. My budget is around $400max but I'm sure I can find a killer set for under that price. I already own the realistic mc2001 that are used in a garage setup at the cottage. I was thinking of bringing them home to get me started while I hunt. I'm not an audiophile by any means but I do like a good sounding speaker. I listen mostly to 70s, 80s rock, blues, pop etc. hense my wanting to find a decent all round speaker for most types of music. I've been looking on kijiji and the speakers I mentioned are ones that get a decent review that are available. I have no issue sticking with the realistics until I find something decent. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thx
 
I live in Winnipeg (winterpeg) Canada. There are some options out there but not many. My budget is around $400max but I'm sure I can find a killer set for under that price. I already own the realistic mc2001 that are used in a garage setup at the cottage. I was thinking of bringing them home to get me started while I hunt. I'm not an audiophile by any means but I do like a good sounding speaker. I listen mostly to 70s, 80s rock, blues, pop etc. hense my wanting to find a decent all round speaker for most types of music. I've been looking on kijiji and the speakers I mentioned are ones that get a decent review that are available. I have no issue sticking with the realistics until I find something decent. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thx

I also listen to acoustic music and slower rock also. Classic rock etc.
 
OK then we have a budget, next lets introduce you to the ADS 710. with this speaker you will bypass all previous experience and step into AK land with a awesome pair of speakers! If there are no 710's available there are other suitable ADS speakers what will make your start a enjoyable one!
 
Will my Marantz 2235 be powerful enough?
yes .. a healthy 2235 will run those easily at sensible volume levels.. vintage speakers in general are lower wattage and higher sensitivity to begin with, and generally 6-8 ohms.. i don't see any potential issues
 
The ADS 710's have a sensitivity of 93 db and is a 6 ohm speaker,which is decent and the Marantz should be just fine ( I used a 35 watt Pioneer 737 which is 35 watts and a yamaha CR 640 40 watts. The 6 ohm speaker is not a problem for these size receivers.
 
Hey fellow Manitoban! Yes, the pickings can be a little skinny in our neck of the woods, especially in the $400 range.

First off, I'd skip the CVs. I recently refoamed a set, and although they do some things well, they do not make great all arounders.

The Cambers are universally liked as a neutral speaker, and benefitted from testing at the NRC in Ottawa. I believe the drivers in these are all Vifa, though my memory gets worse by the day.

When I was looking for speakers, I put a WTB ad up on CAM and got some interesting offers including a set of Klipsch Fortes, and some Energy towers, both at $400.

Personally, I think the best deal on Kijiji now is a set of Boston HD10 for $125. They look pretty minty, and will likely sound pretty neutral with tight bass. If you go browse Kijiji, under the category "Audio" is a subcategory "Speakers"

The set of JBL E50s for $175 are also quite nice if you have the room (they must be on their sides for tweeter dispersion reasons), and I've found JBL teams nicely with vintage Marantz.

Any specific questions, or want some help on your local search? Drop me a PM.
 
Last edited:
i'd ignore the jbl e50's agains the ads as these are modern and cost concerned models.. i had some of these series in past, they are okay but far from good,,, yet some vintages can prove to be great especially if you get a good copy. i'd gamble on highly regarded vintages over "not bad" moderns any day ..
 
Last edited:
Hey GlenGC, I'd generally suggest it takes more than five days to get a feel for the type of culture that a website has, especially an audio one such as this.

When we post opinions it is with the intent of helping the OP, not for us to get attention, or to be right. If the OP wishes to take my advice, they are welcome to. If they choose to ignore me, they are welcome to. But I am not obligated to post in their thread, and they are not obligated to take my advice, nor post me a "pat on the back" for my suggestions.

To then get "pissed off", and throw accusations at the OP, and make assumptions why they have not responded to you is rather unproductive, especially if your intent is to give the OP advice. I personally have a difficult time listening to people who insult me.

If you'd like to enjoy the knowledge and help of the many experienced, helpful people on this forum, then I'd suggest cooling your jets, and taking a more productive approach in the future.

And as I typed above, no one compelled me to write this post, and you are welcome to either accept or reject my advice. My feelings aren't hurt either way.
 
Escascio, also noticed a set of EPI 100's on Kijiji.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-speakers/win...rs/1269228218?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Good thread here discussing them:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/tell-me-about-epi-speakers.237538/

Pretty nice option too, though again, acoustic suspension like the Bostons. Probably give up some extension in the bass with a great gain in accuracy.

Edit - Also saw a set of PSB 40R - these things are a complete steal at $80. As is the set of PSB Model 500 - the tweeter on these is great; had it on a set of PSB30 MkII I used to have.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom