• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Speakers & Freezing Temperature?

azitiz

Active Member
I have just recently obtained a pair of Sansui SP-5500x speakers. A friend picked them up for me because of my busy schedule. Apparently (as I just found out tonight), they've been in the back of his car the last 2 nights. Up here in Maine those nights have been well below freezing!

Is this a problem for the speakers in any way? In general I know it's not a good idea to fire them up right away until they reach room temperature (like anything with electronics), but will there be any lasting damage from being out in freezing temps for 2+ days?

a bit worried in Maine,
alexander
 
Register to hide this ad
I wouldn't think so, when they were new they were shipped all over the world to different stores in those temps and probably worse. Your car speakers and stereo (and computer nowadays) sit in those temps all the time and continue to perform.
 
No, all it will do is kill the bugs and some of the bacteria.:D

I have two pairs stored in the breezeway (that area between house and garage). It is now -27 f in that area.
 
It won't hurt them but I would let them come to room temp before using them. Especially if the tweeters have ferrofluid in them (which I don't think they do).
 
Thanks everyone, I guess I didn't think it through logically. Or maybe thought the foam on the woofers would ______?

Late night nervous post...but yeah, in the light of day, this seems obvious:

Your car speakers and stereo (and computer nowadays) sit in those temps all the time and continue to perform.

Thanks!
alexander
 
Years ago, I managed to shatter the cone of the speaker of my car radio by playing it after the car had sat overnight in subzero weather (maybe as cold as -20F).
 
Years ago, I managed to shatter the cone of the speaker of my car radio by playing it after the car had sat overnight in subzero weather (maybe as cold as -20F).

Well, there are always extremes, but did those warm up before you used them as the OP's did?
 
Thanks everyone, I guess I didn't think it through logically. Or maybe thought the foam on the woofers would ______?

Late night nervous post...but yeah, in the light of day, this seems obvious:



Thanks!
alexander

Dude, don't feel bad in the least. You did the right thing. Always better to be sure when it comes to this stuff. Being cautious saves you money. Plus, you've now saved me the trouble of ever having to ask that question.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom