• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Spec 1 Pre-Amp + modern Class D 2 channel amp =?

MIJ_Pioneer

Super Member
Has anyone connected Spec 1 pre amp to a modern 2 channel amplifier? I was looking at the Spec 1 and Spec 2 combo and wondered if I could "cheat" with modern technology. Purchase just the Spec 1 pre amp and connect it to a modern class D amplifier to achieve the same (or close) outcome as a Spec 1/2 combo. I'm assuming that the Spec 2 provides a very clean output, but it does not add too much (or any) color to the sound.

What does everyone think of buying a Spec 1 and connecting to to a modern amplifier?
 
Register to hide this ad
What does everyone think of buying a Spec 1 and connecting to to a modern amplifier?
There really should not be a problem, with a spec 2 driving another amplifier, if it is single ended and not balanced i/p. I do not think you can use the class "D" amp to go thru the spec 2 speaker switches, as the o/p may be floating from ground.
It depends on what you want the spec 2 for, what are your sources?
 
I'm sure a Spec stack is much less colored in its presentation than, say, a SX-1250 or 1980, but I doubt they even border on "uncolored" by modern standards. Including the power amp.

As to your specific question, don't know, never dealt with Spec gear. I'm sure others will chime in, though.

In short, the effect you're hoping for is something like using a tube pre with a SS power amp?
 
Back
Top Bottom