• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Spec 2 Amp Behavior & Repair/Restore

bhuskins

Super Member
I'm going through a Spec 2 amp that came to me in protection when initially tested. Powers up, all the lights work including the protection one :-) Upon inspection, 1 of the amp boards had a less than impressive tech hack at it at some point. Black tape holding the STV-3 diode together, odd ball transistors and the such...even a bare wire jumped off one of the transistors...you get the idea. a complete overhaul was in order.

First for those that have worked on a Spec 2 before, I want to understand what behavior I should expect. With both amp modules removed if the unit is powered up the protection light does not come on when powered on. Maybe that's a good thing for the rest of the amp (which appears to be original based on initial observations.) Is that what the amp should do upon power up without the amps installed? No protection light at all or should it come on then go off once the protection circuit gives the all clear?

Only one of the amp boards had been hacked at and the other board only had the STV-3 repaired (and not very well...black tape again)

I opted to completely rebuild the 1st amp board and went through everything. All new transistors, all new variable resistors, all new caps, new relay, new 34v (17v*2) zener diode, new 100 ohm resistors as all 4 read OK but looked a bit charred. New STV-3 installed. The STV-4 is in good shape. I also pulled all the output transistor and all 6 tested good, so I installed new insulators and grease and reinstalled the OTs. All other resistors and diodes tested out OK and are still original.

To see if I was getting somewhere, I hooked up the freshly rebuilt amp module and upon power up it immediately goes into protection. This occurs regardless of which side I plug it into. No other symptoms, etc.

Do both modules have to be installed for it to come out of protection once 1 is hooked up? Understanding what the normal behavior for the amp is would be helpful in addition to suggestions on what I should look at next.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I looked into it a bit, and don't expect a good single channel would cause protection.

what about the other channel, have you done anything to that yet, or even tried it solo?

It would help if you checked and posted output voltage readings of your "protect" channel to see if going into protection is justified.
 
The Spec 2 won't exit protection with only one board installed. And I suggest a DBT with about a 200W lamp.
 
I was using a 150w bulb but I can try and locate a 200 watt one. I guess a big halogen flood will do?

So with no amp boards connected it does not go into protection when turned on but with 1 good board (assuming after completely overhaul) connected it won't come out of protection...if that's the expected result then I just need to finish the 2nd board and test both at the same time I suspect.
 
I'll check at the depot and lowes...hadn't seen them there before but didn't look that hard...have you seen them there
 
use a PAIR of bulbs, like 2 100's, a 150 and a 75 or whatever adds up.
even two 150's.
 
After completely overhauling the second amp board like the 1st and installing both amp boards back in the amp, it's back up and running like a champ. Both main relays kick off and the soft start protection turns off shortly thereafter. Thanks for help guys!
 
Back
Top Bottom