• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Spec 4 Surprise Overhaul and restoration

Never mind...I solved my own problem. So I had a 470kohm resistor in R18 when it should have been 470 ohm...stupid. all of my new resistors are sorted in a sleeve. Somehow this little bastard got in there and I just threw it in without checking its value. Wont make this mistake again.

wow... talk about the wrong thing in the wrong place!!
that maxed out the DC gain. instead of a divider with 18k and 470 ohms and a gain of 38.29 ( 31.6 db)
(for 1 volt to drive 150 watts into 8 ohms, gain of 34.64 x or 30.79 dB)
it was probably slamming rail to rail at the slightest whiff of provocation.

when was the resistor replaced?
 
Hey Mark, a few days ago when I swapped them all. I new I had done something wrong when I got all that high voltage everywhere. These new resistors are 5 band and impossible to read with my crappy eyes. I should have known...so as a precaution, I put all new transistors in again to make sure they weren't damaged with excessive voltage...she is purring nice and smooth. One more question...do you think it necessary to have the power limiters adjusted?...both channels played at max volume with no distortion and no cutting out. The vrs were set at mid stroke and everything seems to be fine. Was just wondering what your opinion was.
 
The power limiter has more applicability to 4 ohm loads. There is no 4 ohm 8 ohm switching on this amp.

And the currents needed to light up the power limiters won't be available at 8 ohms. No matter where you have the settings dialed in.

150 watts into 8 ohms is 34.64v. 180 watts max into a 4 ohm load is 26.83 volts yet the amp can try to deliver 34 volts into 4 ohms.

but
if you inadvertently have less than 8 ohms:

That same 34v pushing into 4 ohms is 289 watts :yikes:

the power supply isn't up to it, but it will put enough current through the outputs to probably overheat them.

The power limiter senses the excessive current through the outputs via the emitter resistors. It won't be bothered by 8 ohm loads.

i would set them.


If you don't think you have the dummy loads - normally both load resistors are used at the same time - 1 to a channel
BUT
the power limiters are adjusted one channel at a time, other channel unloaded
SO
two 8 ohm loads in parallel IS 4 ohms...

some math doodling, not to be lost on some scrap paper blowing around here:
200 watts is 28.29 volts.into 4 ohms. that would be 7.07 amps through the outputs, 3.5 amps per pair. 1.75 volts across a 0.5 ohm emitter resistor
150 watts is 34.64 volts into 8 ohms. that would be 4.3 amps through the outputs, 2.165 amps per pair. 1.08 volts across a 0.5 ohm emitter resistor
The only thing I don't know for sure is what voltage gets Q13 & Q14 working.
 
Thanks Mark...what an explanation!...I will have them done. Dont want to go through this ordeal again...thank you.
 
So I made a cheat sheet to follow along with this restoration, and I am posting it here to possibly help someone in the future. All I can say after rebuilding tons of Pioneer gear is I never have encountered so many resistors being at fault with this particular design. And check your work! one mistake with a resistor set me back a week in this repair. Good luck and I gotta say, I now know this amplifier by heart.
 

Attachments

  • SPEC 4 Amp Board - COMPONENT CHANGES.jpg
    SPEC 4 Amp Board - COMPONENT CHANGES.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom