• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Special Finish Audio Technica-LP120X, Would you buy it?

TomG42

New Member
Hi, I need a new turntable; budget is always a consideration. I can save big bucks on an AT-LP120X USB, if I buy a refurb from Audio Technica in the Canadian only special offering of a bronze color. Canadian prices are higher than US; the regular model is $489, but I can buy this bronze edition on sale for $319. Not crazy about the color, but I don't know if that's critical enough for me. What do you guys think? Would you be for it, or agin it?LP120X Bronze.PNG I include the shot, hope it works. Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
My thinking is, if anything gives me pause prior to purchase it could likely rear its head later on. I'd hold out until something else came along.
 
If you like the AT for its price to performance ratio then you should definitely consider it. I like turntables (and other things) that aren't cookie cutter or the ones that everyone has. My repaint of various Technics tables are examples of that.
 
I rather like the bronze. It's certainly a big saving - is it worth the extra $170 to buy your preferred colour? It may become a sought-after edition, so may hold its value better or even increase in value.
 
like different so do others so reselling it should be ok in the future

I guess my only other consideration will the color clash with things you want in the future, example many like the components to somewhat match in style/color.
 
If it's the TT you want, buy it.
Looks is not a big thing for me; I don't sit and admire my system while listening to music.
 
I always prefer anything that differs from the typical as long as it is tasteful and matches the surrounding equipment and room.

I wish they would have been a bit more restrained with the bronze, but I like it. To get it at a significant discount, I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

If you ever plan to sell it, I think you will get more and sell it easier being a limited edition. There are a million turntables of this style that all look largely the same, this one will stand out.
 
Interesting replies, thanks to the many. Please keep letting me know your thoughts, I find it very interesting . . .
 
Interesting replies, thanks to the many. Please keep letting me know your thoughts, I find it very interesting . . .


The "acid test" is, if you saw the Bronze option, and it was $200 more, would you be considering it? :)

Sometimes it's like that -- you see it for sale marked down significantly, and you automatically think a lot less of it -- but if you first saw it as an "upgrade" option, or that model is very hard to get, it becomes quite tempting.
 
Last edited:
Of course I knew that some people would comment on the actual choice of turntable, not just the color. TheMarco mentions that for this money I can do way better; I'm sure he's talking about entertaining the resale market and perhaps even the vintage market. Sure, it's occurred to me, but I know that I'm not tech inclined and can't really fix or tinker with things. Additionally, I just don't have the patience for it; I've got enough things to occupy my time. So I like new, or at least near new. Two near-new tables I'm considering, both a couple years old and lightly used and priced well are the Music Hall MMF 1.5, and the Project T1. But, no warranties of course . . .
 
Of course I knew that some people would comment on the actual choice of turntable, not just the color. TheMarco mentions that for this money I can do way better; I'm sure he's talking about entertaining the resale market and perhaps even the vintage market. Sure, it's occurred to me, but I know that I'm not tech inclined and can't really fix or tinker with things. Additionally, I just don't have the patience for it; I've got enough things to occupy my time. So I like new, or at least near new. Two near-new tables I'm considering, both a couple years old and lightly used and priced well are the Music Hall MMF 1.5, and the Project T1. But, no warranties of course . . .

First of all I didn't mean to offend. Sorry if I sounded rude.

As for the warranty: I think these new tables don't last like the vintage ones do. Vintage Technics, Pioneer etc. are virtually indestructible. If it works perfectly when you buy it chances are extremely small that it will break on you. Probably smaller than with a few years old newer TT.

Turntables have very few parts that are likely to break. I would not be scared to buy a properly working Technics if I were you.
 
I kinda like the color, and have found that the TT can sound surprisingly good. The jump the VMN-95ML stylus is a significant, affordable, and easy upgrade down the road too.
 
Of course I knew that some people would comment on the actual choice of turntable, not just the color. TheMarco mentions that for this money I can do way better; I'm sure he's talking about entertaining the resale market and perhaps even the vintage market. Sure, it's occurred to me, but I know that I'm not tech inclined and can't really fix or tinker with things. Additionally, I just don't have the patience for it; I've got enough things to occupy my time. So I like new, or at least near new. Two near-new tables I'm considering, both a couple years old and lightly used and priced well are the Music Hall MMF 1.5, and the Project T1. But, no warranties of course . . .
I would probably choose the AT over the Pro-ject T1, as the latter has a low-mass arm which will restrict your cartridge choice if you wish to upgrade (although the fitted Ortofon OM series is a good one and you can do a simple upgrade with a stylus replacement). I would also probably trust the AT's direct-drive more than the Pro-ject's belt-drive. The Music Hall seems a valid contender - it looks to have a medium-mass S-shaped arm, but a cartridge upgrade may be worthwhile. I don't have direct experience of any of these turntables, so these are just casual observations.
 
Of course I knew that some people would comment on the actual choice of turntable, not just the color. TheMarco mentions that for this money I can do way better; I'm sure he's talking about entertaining the resale market and perhaps even the vintage market. Sure, it's occurred to me, but I know that I'm not tech inclined and can't really fix or tinker with things. Additionally, I just don't have the patience for it; I've got enough things to occupy my time. So I like new, or at least near new. Two near-new tables I'm considering, both a couple years old and lightly used and priced well are the Music Hall MMF 1.5, and the Project T1. But, no warranties of course . . .
I've always liked new, too, especially after my one experience with a used Dual.

I like the bronze color on the AT-LP120XUSB you showed, and, like knotscott, I was very pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of mine. My taste in cartridges, though, runs to the bargain end of things. I liked the stock VM95 well enough, though I preferred going with the VMN95C conical stylus rather than any of the more advanced shapes. I ended up keeping the VM95 for their 78 rpm stylus and mounted a Sumiko Oyster (their cheapest, $79 model, and just $39 for a replacement stylus) on a separate headshell for lp's and 45's. To my ears and in my system, the Oyster was a significant step up in dynamics, resolution, and engagement over the VM95C despite also being a budget conical. That combination could keep me enthralled for hours, enjoying one album after another.
 
Considering the old vs. new debate, I conclude that, like many things in life, there is no right or wrong answer. It all depends on who you are.

I resisted the move to new products for many years. I truly believed in the adage that they "just don't build them like they used to". I kept older cars, motorcycles, bicycles, power tools, vacuum cleaners, kitchen appliances, just about anything mechanical. These were all great products and it's probably true . . . they really did used to build things better. In my experience, however, forced to make a choice between new and 40 year old used, I found that new almost always trumps the old . . . how can it not? Old is old, and a 40 year old product doesn't owe you anything if it performed well for that long period. But realistically, how can it not get tired? It's impossible, EVERYTHING mechanical wears out, there are no exceptions. Just last week I got rid of my wife's KitchenAid mixer, built in 1982 by Hobart. Truly a wonderful machine, but too old now to justify an expensive repair. Time for a new one.

Sure, things can be fixed, but like an old car, you can't keep fixing forever, especially if you don't have the skills and you have to pay someone to do it. I don't have those skills, so for me new makes sense. For others, they might enjoy using their considerable skills to fix things. No right or wrong . . .
 
Wow. I guess mechanical types like me have a big advantage. I look at most new items and see junk. I'd much rather rebuild an old classic and give it another life than have something that bugs heck out of me with it's cheap build quality.

BillWojo
 
Back
Top Bottom