• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Spider beginning to detach

Chris Brown

Super Member
I'm in the middle of refoaming my 2214H woofers from my JBL L100T speakers. Perhaps because of the recent thread about spiders I was taking a close look at the spider on this 2214H when I noticed part of it is starting to detach.



I checked and this little 2" spot is the only place on either woofer where it is coming apart.

My first thought is, to use something like a toothpick to dab a little bit of glue from the surround kit in there, then press it back down. I wanted to get some thoughts from here first.

The woofers are date stamped 12/06/85. Aside from age, is there anything in particular that would cause this problem? Could this be from pushing them too hard?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I noticed this with my 4312a's when i got them. The would sound like a rubbing noise on a 60 to 80hz test tone. I used som speaker surround glue to reattatch them back to the frame.
 
Interesting, it wasn't causing any noise with the 30hz tone I was using for voice coil centering. I'm just glad only a small part came detached.
 
At least you caught it. It took me about 2 days of pulling and remounting my speakers before i found it as culprit.
 
Back
Top Bottom