• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Spying on you from your cell phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register to hide this ad
Thsi is nothing new just brought to the forefront in recent months. From the beginning you could do this with the correct technology. Unfortunately if folks think that their cell conversations are safe they are NUTS!! Only a landline is safe, and only because it still requires a court order to tap that line! Nothing that uses over the air technologies is safe including what you do on your computer.
 
We used to routinely listen to cell phone conversations at work when I worked as a radio repair technician at Icom. I believe every cell phone conversation in America is recorded and tested for key words and phrases. I don't know for sure though. When the hookers in Seattle talk on them, that's when it gets interesting. They somehow think no one can hear their conversations.
 
Thsi is nothing new just brought to the forefront in recent months. From the beginning you could do this with the correct technology. Unfortunately if folks think that their cell conversations are safe they are NUTS!! Only a landline is safe, and only because it still requires a court order to tap that line! Nothing that uses over the air technologies is safe including what you do on your computer.
+1:yes:
Two years ago the Technology Director of the Company I work for bought me a new Macbook pro.
I used the thing for a couple of weeks; in addition to not liking the OS the biggie to me was that at any given time the little green light that indicates the onboard camera could come on/off with no user interaction.
I spent some time in settings and learned that the computer thought the camera was off. I could toggle the camera on and off and it would have no impact on whether the camera was enabled and the indicator being lit to indicate the camera was on or off.
I updated the software several times since then but the rogue camera still appears to do whatever ?it? wants.
finally I decided that the camera creeped me out and threw it on a cabinet at work and there it has sat ever since.
Paranoid? yeah, maybe... but I didn't really like the damn thing anyways :no:

DTA

tal
 
There is an interesting article in the May issue of Scientific American dealing
with eavesdropping on computers and the like. I must take the time to
read it...
 
We used to routinely listen to cell phone conversations at work when I worked as a radio repair technician at Icom. I believe every cell phone conversation in America is recorded and tested for key words and phrases. I don't know for sure though. When the hookers in Seattle talk on them, that's when it gets interesting. They somehow think no one can hear their conversations.

Have any leftover unlocked R-9000s lying around? :thmbsp::smoke:

Speaking about phone calls, I remember when I had a 6M omni loop set up at my folks' place. Apparently, someone nearby had one of those old-style 49MHz phones, because I'd be down in the bottom of the weak-signal portion of the band and I'd hear this wideband hash...switch over to wide FM and sure enough they're yakking about what to pick up at Walmart.
 
I really don't care if anyone listens to mine... And besides, there are something like 300,000,000 cellphones in the country, and if they were to record, even 1% of those, they'd never be able to listen to them. It is my opinion that If people are scared for what people might think if they listened in on a cellphone call, they have personal insecurities. After all, we've all heard people in line at the bank bellowing at the top of their lungs into their phones about their latest prostate exam, or their wife's frigidity, or their mother-in-law's diarrhea remedy that doesn't work for them.

Charles
 
I really don't care if anyone listens to mine... And besides, there are something like 300,000,000 cellphones in the country, and if they were to record, even 1% of those, they'd never be able to listen to them. It is my opinion that If people are scared for what people might think if they listened in on a cellphone call, they have personal insecurities. After all, we've all heard people in line at the bank bellowing at the top of their lungs into their phones about their latest prostate exam, or their wife's frigidity, or their mother-in-law's diarrhea remedy that doesn't work for them.

Charles

A lot of that really isn't the point. Nothing I say is top secret or subversive, but fact of the matter is that it's a private conversation and nobody is entitled to listen to it without due process of law.

Of course, work is a different matter where you've probably signed something that gives your consent to be monitored.

And yes, I think all conversations could be monitored. Not by people listening, but by very powerful computers doing keyword searches via speech recognition. In fact, there is a large group of people that believe this is infact happening by a program/system called Echelon, or something like that.
 
Last edited:
What we need to do is put their 'keywords' into *every* e-mail and phone conversation we ever have. That way, the monitoring programs will become unusable due to information overload.
 
I carry my cell phone in my pants pocket. Can they hear me coming? They're not looking at my junk, are they?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom