• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

SR-1050 TT issues...

skars

New Member
Hi everyone,

I bought recently an early 70s Sansui turntable SR-1050 at a local flea market for 70€... I fell in love with the tonearm and the general wooden aspect of the whole. The seller, a passionate, told me it was a Japan import (the AC plug is indeed a japanese one, need a european adaptator). The TT works just fine with the shure M75MB there was on. I opened the back to see if cleaning was needed : no dust at all, no rust, no unsoldered wires or oxidation... and a really nice japanese conception. Just had to re-level the platter, since the rubber of the suspension on the motor side was too flattened (more weight on this side).

I really would like to change the cartridge for a more accurate one. Thought about the famous DL103, or any other cart. that works fine with this Sansui tonearm. Any Idea?
But my problem is : I can't figure out how to set the tonarm accurately. There is no graduation on the tracking force weight! + there is a lateral weight on the right I can't understand the use (not the anti-skip). It's not a problem with the already mounted cart., but if I afford a very good cart., I want and need to set it up the most accurately possible.
I searched for hours the user's manual or any info about, but only result is the service manual and brochure...

Please help me

NB: the SR1050 tonearm seems to be the same as the SR2050...
 
Register to hide this ad
Hello skars, congrats on the tt. I have a 2050C and you will definitley need a stylus force gauge. After I balanced out the arm and set the counterweight on my table it was not accurate without a gauge. As for cartridges I have found the sumiko oyster and shure m91ed work well with my tonearm. I tried a grado black and it just didn't work well for me or the arm and that has been the extent of upgrading cartridge wise. That's not to say a grado wouldn't work with yours. It's kinda hit and miss to find the magic one. The lateral weight is a mystery to me. I put mine at the notch on the peg and doesn't seem to affect the arm's performance or sonics, that I can tell, if it's moved in either direction. Hope this helps you a bit and enjoy your tt.
 
Thanx for the help drfibes13; I purchased a small electronique gauge (precision of 0.01g) that will be very usefull... I'm still hesitating with the cartridge choice. The DL-103 looks great to me, but may be too accurate with this kind of "mid-range" TT + there is no return-exchange policy for the stylus here in France. I'm used to MM cart. (Shure/Ortofon), and I would like to taste the sound of MC cart. (I own a Pro-Ject PhonoBox II as RIAA amp., which allow MC). I mainly listen to funk, jazz and 70s rock... but I'm interested in quite everything.
I found also with the test of the strobe that my TT is very slightly too slow on the 33 1/3 and very slightly too quick on the 45. Is it due to the motor drive or to the belt? I opened the back and it doesn't seem to be anything to calibrate the motor drive...
 
Back
Top Bottom