• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

sta2100 up in smoke

KWFLfire

New Member
I have a sta2100, lab420, mach two and tr802, all was working perfect until I plugged in the 8track into unswitched outlet on the 2100.

I saw white smoke come from amp, now no sound from either A or B speakers. All lights and meters are working, just no sound.

I'm not a repair guy, but is there a board that I can check?

I'm so pissed, any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
When you power up the receiver, do you hear the relay click? If it doesn't, that would suggest that something in the power amp section got fried.
 
Is there sound at the headphone jack?
Did you check to see if you accidentally engaged a tape monitor loop or something like that?
I’m no electronics tech, but it seems fishy that lights and meters are working ??
 
I have a sta2100, lab420, mach two and tr802, all was working perfect until I plugged in the 8track into unswitched outlet on the 2100.

I saw white smoke come from amp, now no sound from either A or B speakers. All lights and meters are working, just no sound.

I'm not a repair guy, but is there a board that I can check?

I'm so pissed, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Did you try plugging the 8 track into a wall socket 1st sounds like the problem was a short on the 8track or the plug in the back of the receiver
 
Did you try plugging the 8 track into a wall socket 1st sounds like the problem was a short on the 8track or the plug in the back of the receiver
It’s also possible on some of the realistic shares terminals and 1 set of rca speaker outs ,with all the connections you might have plugged it the 8 track in the speaker out damaging the amp board and tripping the protection relays
 
Last edited:
It’s also possible on some of the realistic shades terminals and 1 set of rca speaker outs ,with all the connections you might have plugged it the 8 track in the speaker out damaging the amp board and tripping the protection relays
Ok, you made me look. I was surprised it would also have rca speaker jacks. I learned something new today.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20230119-073521~2.png
    Screenshot_20230119-073521~2.png
    397.6 KB · Views: 76
Sounding like amp board, speaker wires not touching and RCA speaker outs have a metal cap on them? Wasn't like that. Had my grandson helping me and he must of thought to put them in. Oh boy.....
 
Ordered a new one, do you guys think by just replacing this one will work? Thanks for all in input, learning lots here, great site
 
I thought if you around here I could look at for you. Not the case.

I doubt that cap is the the issue, or the only issue.

probably a transistor or two let their magic smoke out.

Rob
 
That STA-2100 is a beauty for sure. You maybe will have better luck with posting for help on the solid-state forum. I hope that you will get it sorted out:thumbsup:
 
Back
Top Bottom