• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

"Stacking" a TT on receiver - what you you do?

IanMcI

Active Member
I'm looking for a simple solution to minimizing the footprint of a TT/Receiver setup - Technics SL-235 TT over a Yamaha CR-220 receiver.

Seems TT feet are typically of a larger foot spread - my technics measures 15" X 12.75".

I want to put something together for my son's small apartment, so need a "cabinet", or stand so I can "stack" the TT over the receiver (rather than use them side by side). This would be used on a desk, I think.

Is there some common piece of furniture that can work? I have one of those very common white shelving units used in closets for shoes(?) - 2' W X 1' H X 11.5" D. The TT is not comfortable on this (TT feet overhang a bit), though the receiver works well in it.

I don't need expensive "audio-specific" furniture, just want to save space on a dime.

Ian
SF Bay Area
 
Register to hide this ad
I have placed TTs directly on top of receivers and preamps many times. This is a safe alternative if the TT has tall enough legs to let the amp breath.
 
Hmm, from the "desktop compter" days there were monitor stands that straddled the computer. This would straddle the receiver, and be sturdy for the turntable. The difficult part would be actually finding one...

A guy could DIY one pretty easily, with minimal materials.
 
I also had a turntable that you could snugly slide empty film cannisters over the feet, and raise the bottom up by a couple inches. GREAT solution, IF the receiver is large enough.
 
The feet on the TT are a of a bigger footprint than the top of the receiver, so they'd tend to overhang.

A monitor stand! Maybe that's what I have, but it's only as deep as the receiver, so no net gain by using it.

I've thought of just using a couple of sticks (well, small, thin "boards"), just long enough to fit the TT feet front to back. They'd just sit on the top of the receiver. But that might look a little hokey while the rest is vintage silver-face goodness. Maybe in thin, but strong metal.

Now that I'm thinking of it, and because I'm heading away from "furniture", perhaps a thin birch-ply board, mostly cut away, so it's more of a squarish ring (for adequate ventilation) with feet.

Ian
SF Bay Area
 
I never do it. I'm sure that with adequate ventilation (enough room to breath) it is not terrible, but I know that HEAT in any capacity is the enemy of electronic components. Thus, I never "reduced" ventilation by placing a TT on top of a Receiver or Integrated Amp. My TT's are pretty "Low Profile" when it comes to pace between the bottom of the plinth and the feet bottom. Maybe 3/4 of an inch on some? Too little to get good air flow IMO. Maybe your tables are different.

I have made a two sided shelf to "elevate" the table about 4 inches above the Receiver/Amp, like the old Computer Monitor Stands from the 80's and early 90's. (as listed in previous post). This worked for me. In college, my Yamaha CA-810 ran really hot in the Gusdorf cabinet I had for my equipment and actually put on a low rpm cooling fan behind the Amp to dissipate heat. Some Amps/Receivers run hotter than others.

I suppose too if this is your only alternative, and if your Amp/Receiver is low power and does not generate much heat, it's not the end of the world. Go ahead and stack it on. I'm probably being too over-protective and way too concerned about this, but that's what I've been doing... or NOT doing.
 
I use a simple plywood stand similar to the computer monitor idea. just 3/4" plywood glued and screwed. Painted black. This one is pretty rough, CDX with some voids along the edge, but it was what I had that day. Someday I'll spend a little and get a nicer, finish grade piece of plywood.
 
Make a quick run down to your local Goodwill, you might be surprised what you find that could be turned into a decent shelf/ stand.
 
I think your solution, Billy, is what most would either recommend as the better alternative.

Mostly, I was leaning toward a decent piece of furniture. But while thinking of ways to minimize even that footprint, began thinking along the DIY "spacer". Perhaps if I were willing to build anything at all, a monitor-type stand with the proper depth, and with plenty of room for ventilation, might be the way to go. Thanks all!

Ian
SF Bay Area
 
If you want the receiver to have a short life then put something on top of it. When played loud these receivers put out a lot of heat. You may also have problems with acoustic feedback if the receiver is not on a solid surface.
 
Not sure if you can see the quick little DIY shelf under my TT, cost a few bucks and ten minutes of my time. Not visible in the pic is the back rail for stability. The sides are just 1X8, the back rail is 1X4 leaving rm for cables out the back.



20150506_174307.jpg~320x480


This pic shows it better.

image-14.jpg~320x480


Not much room for the cable box below, this was changed in the recent move.
 
Turntable stands

Plywood (3/4") can work well, but I have found it easy just to cut off two pieces of a 2 (1.5" thick) x 12" to the right depth and mount 1" (0.75") thick board(s) -possibly 1" X 12 for a single piece, thinner if you need more depth on top. Only a chop- saw/radial saw needed at most. Stain it if you wish to match anything you want. Quick & simple. I have done fancier ones with dovetails, but that is not needed. With an open back and 11 + inches of height, you probably will be OK with heat generation.
 
Depends on the receiver for me. I have the TT on top of the receiver in my office due to space limitations. It's a low power receiver that does not vent out the top though. At home I keep the TT next to my receiver since it does have large vents cut in the top.

ry%3D400


ry%3D400
 
I am no longer using the shelf in this picture:
IMG_8915_zps0c37c65e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_8914_zps067628a2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I live in Vallejo. If you'd like it, I would let it go cheap. Drop me a PM.

Jason
 
If the OP reads the owners manuals for his turntable and receiver the mfgs will strongly advise NOT to stack the two and give each component adequate space to breath and not cause electrical interference/overheating. I suggest you check local thrift shops for dirt cheap older well built tables, stands, computer desks that will be solid enough to prevent vibration reaching the turntable.
 
Here's the vote for hockey pucks.

That receiver is a bit of a monolith though so lots of room for a table on top.

ttpucks.jpg
 
Thanks for the offer hi*ball! I'm going in a different direction, however.

Great input here on a subject that had me wondering - from Kingshead's DIY to hi*ball's minimalist stand.

I like the hockey puck idea, too. The stock feet on my Technics TT look very much like that.

I don't think there's a one size fits all answer here, now that I'm considering room for proper ventilation, etc. But my Yamaha CR-220 is SS and puts out a mild 15 wpc, so I'm thinking I can at least give stacking a try.

I drew up a template for a platform that would sit on the receiver, using feet of about 1/2" high. That and the space provided by the height of the TT feet (1 1/4") plus the thickness of the platform itself, should amount to about 2" of ventilation space above the receiver. This "platform" may be a square ring, or an X shape, or even two separate "runners". I'm still working on a concept with size and simplicity as my goals.

Thanks for the input!

Ian
SF Bay Area
 
Back
Top Bottom