• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Stahl DSDS solder / desolder station

IndyDucati

Active Member
Hey folks,

This seems too good to be true. I know, I know.... Parts Express has a seemingly complete Stahl DSDS
variable temperature soldering / desoldering station for $158.
I want to assume it's decent quality, but am a pessimist.
Even the replacement parts are well priced.

Have any of you seen or used this?
Steve
 
Register to hide this ad
I recently purchased Stahl Tools STSSVT Variable Temperature Soldering Station Parts Express PN 374-100 for $14.88
Just finished a point to point tube amp and it worked very well. I had to change out a tip 1/2 way through, but the large wedge tip seems to be doing better than the pencil tip.

I'd absolutely buy again. I'm very happy with the performance for that price. Parts Express is a great company IMO.
 
Thank you for the information. I need an upgraded iron about 10 minutes a month. This might be my next tool purchase.

Steve
 
I've been eyeing this as well. Would be a life-saver for those 1-2x/yr PCB recaps.

If you buy, give us a review!!!

Mike
 
Now ya gone and done it, I've been needing an upgrade for the last 20 years.
Reckon I'll have to look into getting one in May when there do back in.
 
This should be a decent unit. Difference between Variable Temperature and Temperature Controlled is the key to the lower price.

The VT soldering irons, stations and such have a control of the wattage of the iron. Crank it up for higher temp and more heat available for the bigger joints. A Temp Controlled unit, once set, tries to maintain that temp. It has a temp sensor near the tip and when the temp drops as you put the iron on the solder joint, it will turn on the power to maintain the temp, a weller able to increase temp 100°F in 10 seconds. This is convenient.

The VT is a variable wattage iron. You set the wattage when you adjust the dial and that is how it runs until you reset it. It will be hot with no load and cold when overloaded. But looking at most component changes, caps, resistors and such the VT iron/desoldering tool will have a setting that works well. Only need to crank it up for a large lump of solder or turn it down for very small parts.

This is why the StahlTools SSVT is under 20 and the temp controlled units are over 50. Both work well, the TC units are more convenient unless you always attack the same soldering situation. Had an SSVT for a few years before a friend gave me a couple weller irons that needed a station. Nice step up. I rarely turn the temp control anymore. Did frequently with the SSVT adjusting for the amount of solder that needed to be melted. And would love to add a desoldering tool.
 
I had the $79 one that's on sale now for about seven years. It just died about a week ago. None of the tips for it wore out and it did see heavy use. The weird thing is the cable connected to the iron shorted out inside and burned in half. Not good since the station itself will and did burn out. With the cable burned in half it was like running it without an iron attached. I went ahead and bought the digital readout model since I had a full set of tips and an extra iron from the old one that works on the new one. I can't complain for the money. Plus the cable thing seems like a freak incident anyway.
 
Back
Top Bottom